Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Crazy, overly paranoid question about EpiPen

Both of my children [so far] have never been stung by anything so I don't know if they are allergic or not.

But I do know that some children and adults can have severe reactions that require an epipen to be carried with them. But it needs prescribed.

So if a person IS severely allergic and goes into anaph. shock and only has a matter of minutes, but you don't know, what can you do?

I always thought it might be good to just carry one for the "first" sting if ever it happens "just in case"...

What are your thoughts on this whole allergic reaction thing?
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crazy, overly paranoid question about EpiPen

So it wouldn't be the first time there was an exposure. Allergies are a reaction to something you have been exposed to first. That is why if your kid has a minor reaction to something you need to be really aware because that could just be the precursor to something major.

That said - I always keep (for myself) Benedryl tablets. My friend who is an ER nurse told me if you ever have a bad allergic reaction chew up a couple tablets - it will get into your system really fast.

I am kind of allergy phobic. My sister fed my DS peanut butter the first couple times because I was afraid.

I have had a couple allergic reactions to things and still deal with PTSD from the experiences. I hope my kids don't have the same issues - allergy or mental health.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
So it wouldn't be the first time there was an exposure. Allergies are a reaction to something you have been exposed to first. That is why if your kid has a minor reaction to something you need to be really aware because that could just be the precursor to something major.

That said - I always keep (for myself) Benedryl tablets. My friend who is an ER nurse told me if you ever have a bad allergic reaction chew up a couple tablets - it will get into your system really fast.

I am kind of allergy phobic. My sister fed my DS peanut butter the first couple times because I was afraid.

I have had a couple allergic reactions to things and still deal with PTSD from the experiences. I hope my kids don't have the same issues - allergy or mental health.

My daughter has one for her food allergies that we have to carry around.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post

Ah okay! I kept thinking well how on earth would I know if they were going to have a fatal reaction...lol...I didn't realize that the first reaction tends to be mild but the precursor.

I'll do the benadryl tablets for sure. Thanks!!!

I'm kind of a phobic about this too just because bad allergies run in the family!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Danielle0407
Registered Users

call 911, ambulances carry epi pens. and usually will be there before 10 min.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes, typically they have a reaction to something 1st. My son has a nut allergy and once he got tested to confirm after throwing up and other fun things, then we were prescribed an Epi Pen Jr. We were told to give him Benadryl and then use the Epi Pen and call 911.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Ah okay! I kept thinking well how on earth would I know if they were going to have a fatal reaction...lol...I didn't realize that the first reaction tends to be mild but the precursor.

I'll do the benadryl tablets for sure. Thanks!!!

I'm kind of a phobic about this too just because bad allergies run in the family!

Not always true-I found out I was allergic to fire ants when I was bitten and started swelling within minutes, and within 20 minutes, on the way to the hospital, my throat was swelling up! It may be true with food allergies, but it's not true for everything! You could always ask your dr. for a prescription for one-they last for a year.
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
Not always true-I found out I was allergic to fire ants when I was bitten and started swelling within minutes, and within 20 minutes, on the way to the hospital, my throat was swelling up! It may be true with food allergies, but it's not true for everything! You could always ask your dr. for a prescription for one-they last for a year.
Yikes! Scary!

I think I will talk to him just to see what he says about it
Old 03-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
Terra
seller

My Mood:

Great input, thanks mamas! I always like to be prepared when possible!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Neither of my kids (or DH or me) are anaphylactic to anything- that we know of. But I carry an Epi-pen with me when we are away from the city...like at the lake. The point of having one is that the quicker you administer it the better if someone is going into anaphylactic shock. We live 15 minutes from the closest town, which I think is too long to wait for ambulance to come. And our lake is even further from a town (1 hour).

My physician is in agreement with my rationale, and prescribed one for my daughter. We do have extended family members (my mom and BIL) with anaphylacitic allergies, so I feel that having one in my house is important.

We also always have benadryl on hand at home and a big stock pile at the lake.

ETA: I am a pharmacist so maybe that's why my doctor was open to prescribing one for my kids.