Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
AdeliaGreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How much harder is it going from 1 child to 2?

DH and I have one daughter and she is 18mths old. We had planned to start trying for #2 this summer, but now DH says he's happy with one and doesn't think he could handle (emotionally, mentally, financially...) another one. I am quite upset about this because I've always wanted to have 2 children probably because I am from a 2 child family. Now, my DH is from a single child family. Could that have something to do with it??

What are the most difficult things to handle going from 1 child to 2 children? How did you prepare yourself and your first child for the second child?

Also, any help or advice on how to discuss this with my DH would be very helpful
AdeliaGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
nethridge
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much harder is it going from 1 child to 2?

I'm interested in the replies to this thread! We are sorta on the same boat, only DH and I BOTH don't think we want anymore kids.

I just don't know how moms with more than 1 kid do it without disappearing into a blackhole and never leaving the house again, lol!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethridge View Post
I'm interested in the replies to this thread! We are sorta on the same boat, only DH and I BOTH don't think we want anymore kids.

I just don't know how moms with more than 1 kid do it without disappearing into a blackhole and never leaving the house again, lol!!!
Getting out with two actually isn't that hard-adding a third one is when it gets tricky because they no longer fit in the grocery cart, car seats don't fit in a car, you only have two hands etc. Two is definitely doable sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoalmost3 View Post
Getting out with two actually isn't that hard-adding a third one is when it gets tricky because they no longer fit in the grocery cart, car seats don't fit in a car, you only have two hands etc. Two is definitely doable sara

I agree I am so glad my almost 3 yr old is getting old enough to not immediately dart into traffic when I unbuckle his car seat! This summer I will be taking them all along with my own fat behind to the pool and trying to keep everyone from drowning and just praying the boys both actually want to get in the water this summer (heat + pregnancy+ manic toddlers= not much fun if they won't even get in the pool so I can too!) I will soon have an almost 9 yr old (whom I already make go with me to the grocery store to help out ), a 3 yr old, an almost 2 yr old, and a newborn. Just getting 3 of them out of 5 point harnesses and into the d*mn store will be a trip in itself. But, you learn to adjust with each one. Oddly enough, I am not any more stressed with 3.5 kids than I was with just one and actually, my hardest parenting years were the first 3 yrs of dd's life.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

For me it was so! much harder going from 0 to 1 then 1 to 2. DD2 just kinda fall right into place. DD1 was 2.5 at the time dd2 was born. It was easier for me because I already had experience with sleepless nights, the crying, the no schedule of any kind for months on end, the tantrums, ect ect ect Since I had previous experience with that I already knew what to expect so it wasnt such a shock to my system Now I was worried about getting out of the house with 2. Goodness just getting out with 1 and the diaperbag was stressful but 2? Come to find out it wasnt a big deal lol I already had a diaperbag so just through in another-smaller -diaper and a bottle and I was good to go. after a few months I even ditched the bag and just started leaving extra clothes/diapers in the car so all I had to worry about was my purse and getting us dressed(I'm low mantiance and dd1 can dress herself so it takes about 15mins to get us all out the door). We do worry about paying for college and weddings, ect but we can only do what we can do. Hopefully, we will succeed in raising our children to be thankfully for what they have. Having our 2 girls has been so wonderful and we are so grateful for them we are considering having a third. I see it like this, I might regret not having another child but I would never reget having another child.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
For me it was so! much harder going from 0 to 1 then 1 to 2. DD2 just kinda fall right into place. DD1 was 2.5 at the time dd2 was born. It was easier for me because I already had experience with sleepless nights, the crying, the no schedule of any kind for months on end, the tantrums, ect ect ect Since I had previous experience with that I already knew what to expect so it wasnt such a shock to my system Now I was worried about getting out of the house with 2. Goodness just getting out with 1 and the diaperbag was stressful but 2? Come to find out it wasnt a big deal lol I already had a diaperbag so just through in another-smaller -diaper and a bottle and I was good to go. after a few months I even ditched the bag and just started leaving extra clothes/diapers in the car so all I had to worry about was my purse and getting us dressed(I'm low mantiance and dd1 can dress herself so it takes about 15mins to get us all out the door). We do worry about paying for college and weddings, ect but we can only do what we can do. Hopefully, we will succeed in raising our children to be thankfully for what they have. Having our 2 girls has been so wonderful and we are so grateful for them we are considering having a third. I see it like this, I might regret not having another child but I would never reget having another child.
Did I write this? my thoughts exactly!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I think it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
waa510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieboggs View Post
I think it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.
My sentiments exactly. That's not to say I regret my decision at all...just that I never could have anticipated how much different my life would be on a day-to-day basis. It's not like twice the work. It's like 5 times. But I'm a single-thanks-to-the-military (deployed Dh) mama of a high needs, strong-willed 2.5 year old, and a very clingy, dependent lives-in-her-Babyhawk almost 5 month old so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.. I think the age and temperament of your oldest can REALLY set the stage for how easy of a time you have. As well as how organized/multi-task-y you are. I am very disorganized so that makes it SO hard, since having 2 and balancing them goes against my nature, if that makes sense. HTH you decide..-Whit
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had no issues going from 1 to 2. Our hardest was going from 2 to 3.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblurose View Post
We had no issues going from 1 to 2. Our hardest was going from 2 to 3.
my mom said the same thing.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote