Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Question Need help choosing new pots and pans

I need new pots and pans but I don't know what kind to get. I'm no chef but I need something that will last. Something that won't scratch inside if I use metal on it. Something non-stick.
Which is better: stainless steel or hard anodized...is stainless steel not non-stick? They seem to be around the same price. I've had the same stuff for years that was given to me and the inside is all scratched up, so it needs to go. TIA
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
n-training
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help choosing new pots and pans

Cast iron. Once you learn to cook with this, you will never understand not using it. It is rugged, and actually the only cookware the appreciates in value! My collection was acquired piece by piece, because I wanted it to last forever. I could have gone a package deal, but not in the brand I chose. For pots, stainless steel water-less is what I have. Again, these are not the cheapest, but in my opinion the best. They work on the principle of not overcooking food, but saving the natural juices in the pan, to be served with the product. And Stainless always cleans up so nicely! Avoid aluminum, too many medical questions concerning it. But! This is just all my opinion. Good luck with making a choice! I have used these from the start, and as tempting as others try to make their products sound- have never regretted my choices.
n-training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ pp. I have a cast iron skillet and I love it!!! The rest of my pots & pan are mainly stainless. It isn't non-stick (not like Teflon), but that hasn't been a problem. If I need to have non-stick, I use my cast-iron pan - once cast iron has been really well seasoned, it is basically non stick (I cooked an omelette in mine this morning and it came out beautifully). Plus using cast iron is a good way to get more iron your diet! Anodized aluminum should be relatively safe - anodizing is a way of sealing the aluminum that is not just a surface treatment that can peel like Teflon, and it is kind of non-stick. Huh, not sure I helped at all!!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
infantrywife_101
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-training View Post
Cast iron. Once you learn to cook with this, you will never understand not using it. It is rugged, and actually the only cookware the appreciates in value! My collection was acquired piece by piece, because I wanted it to last forever. I could have gone a package deal, but not in the brand I chose. For pots, stainless steel water-less is what I have. Again, these are not the cheapest, but in my opinion the best. They work on the principle of not overcooking food, but saving the natural juices in the pan, to be served with the product. And Stainless always cleans up so nicely! Avoid aluminum, too many medical questions concerning it. But! This is just all my opinion. Good luck with making a choice! I have used these from the start, and as tempting as others try to make their products sound- have never regretted my choices.
What brands do you use?

Earn FREE paypal, gift cards, and MUCH more with Swagbucks
infantrywife_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I just got a Lodge cast iron skillet and it is AMAZING. I was so afraid to use cast iron..but NOTHING sticks to it and I don't have to worry about scratching it and eating teflon.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
bonniec_tn
Registered Users

I buy all my cast iron at flea markets and season them...I dont think I own one under 50 years old...You can get a good deal on old rusty looking skillets and season them in a couple hours and they are as good as new...If you are interested in the seasoning process just let me know and I will post it for ya Its one of the many secrets I learned by growing up in the backwoods hehe
Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies. So apparently cast iron is the way to go for pans. As for pots, aluminum I suppose. Does anyone use the anodized ones? They sound great, but I have no clue about brands or anything.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
jesibsmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have read that cooking in aluminum is not so hot for your health... anodized, might be ok, not anodized, definitely not...

i suggest stainless steel with a copper bottom core (calphalon makes them and i find off brands that work great at Target!)... for anything not cast iron...

I love my cast iron dutch oven pot! Great for making popcorn, pasta sauce, soups!
ds1-William Yeadon Josiah: Born at home Tuesday Oct. 9, 2007 at 11:24am 7lbs 8oz 20in long
ds2-Phineas Franklin James: Born at home in water Tuesday May 11, 2010 at 10:40am 7lbs 2oz 20 in long
ds3-Oliver Obadiah Starbuck: Born at home in water Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 10:49am 6lbs 4oz 20in long
Our Home Water Birth Video
jesibsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
infantrywife_101
Registered Users

My Mood:

Found this and thought it may help others with their decision.

Earn FREE paypal, gift cards, and MUCH more with Swagbucks
infantrywife_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
dogmom327
Registered Users
seller

For skillets, definitely cast iron. For pots and pans, either stainless steel or enameled cast iron (although you can't use metal utensils with enameled cast iron).