Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed UPDATE

I have not volunteered in my older childrens third grade class this year because of DS2. But my DD asked her teacher if I could bring the baby on a field trip to a public park. Her response was that I was welcome to bring the baby as long as didn't breastfeed as it would be "inappropriate" . I am fuming ! I didn't call into the school yet just in case am overreacting. What would you do?

UPDATE I received another call back today from the school. I received an apology from the school, principal and teacher. The principal said the teacher could not even remember what the comment was made about exactly but that she does not have issue with breastfeeding. She acknowledged making the comment but apologized for saying it and for upsetting my daughter. She stated the comment was about me helping in the classroom but either was it should not have been said.I feel satisfied with response, the principal was very nice and apologetic and said that in no way would the school be no supporting breastfeeding.

Willow wife to Ian:yay Mom to surviving quads Abrial, Jalene, Rylan and my lost baby Tiana 10/11/99 and my brand new bean Finn 11/08/2008

Last edited by Willows; 04-20-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Update
Willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
rvela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not allowed on Field Trip if I breastfeed

Are you serious ? That's discrimination!!! Not to mention illegal! I understand her point of view as the teacher wanting to protect her students from anything they might "see" but this is not the correct way to approach the situation at all. She should definetly speak with you if she has a problem.

ETA: It's highly possible that they may see someone breastfeeding at a public park anyway.

Last edited by rvela; 04-14-2009 at 02:41 PM.
rvela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
bugnbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

wow thats all I can say, im at a loss....I have no clue what id say, id be angry but I think id probably just shut my mouth and not say a word, which is probably not the right thing. Thats just who I am. Wow good luck
Old 04-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You have every right to breastfeed your baby at a park and she has no right to tell you anything different. I could see her maybe asking you to be a little extra discreet in front of the kids, but to say 'no' altogether? I would be mad.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Teffer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The school has no right legally to exclude you for any reason from your child's activities. Go and BF regardless of what they say. They cannot call the police, remove you or punish your child in any way, so there's literally nothing they can do to stop you.

If you live in Genesee County, MI and are interested in babywearing, click https://www.facebook.com/groups/gene...tybabywearers/.
Teffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
You have every right to breastfeed your baby at a park and she has no right to tell you anything different. I could see her maybe asking you to be a little extra discreet in front of the kids, but to say 'no' altogether? I would be mad.
Yeah that.
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
MT_ranch_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My hubby and I were at costco the other day and my DD was getting fussy. I took her to the bathroom to change her and figured she was hungry. I was holding her in my left arm as she nursed at the left breast. I had a nursing tank on and another long sleeved shirt over it. I didn't want to stand in the bathroom the whole time so I just walked around costco. I located my dh and we were walking and shopping for several minutes when dd was finished. I quickly clipped the clasp on my nursing tank when dh looked at me and said "I didn't know she was nursing...I thought she was just asleep." My point is that dh who sees me nurse ALL THE TIME didn't even realize what was going on in a public place. You don't have to have a nursing cover to be discreet and half the time, people don't even realize you're doing it unless there is obvious attention brought to the subject.

This shouldn't even be an issue.
MT_ranch_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its funny because I have NIP since the baby was a week old and my 9 year olds are so used to it. My daughter couldn't figure out what was inappropriate. I explained and she rolled her eyes and says "they are just breasts"
Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

I would give them a call and let them know the situation. Ask them if they have an official policy in accordance with the law, and if their teachers are aware of it. It may give them an opportunity to create one and educate their teachers a little bit.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in PA I think the law is pretty pro-breastfeeding. My DH says I need to go now on principle alone.

Willow wife to Ian:yay Mom to surviving quads Abrial, Jalene, Rylan and my lost baby Tiana 10/11/99 and my brand new bean Finn 11/08/2008