Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You know this isn't going to turn out well when vaccination comes up and doc says

"Let me tell you what the TRUTH is"...

grrr-

I asked if she had any guidance for delayed vaccination/ splitting of vaccines.

Her advice was to just give as many as possible in each visit to avoid your child having the trauma of shots every time they come in, since my son is now old enough to remember the location (he is 17 mos).

She reiterated the usual that there is no proof vaccines cause anything negative, and said that him picking something up off the floor is triggering his immune system response more than the vaccines would because there are so many thousands of things he is exposing himself to by doing that (and she gestures as he picks up a toy he had dropped from her floor).

So, trying to find a new doc is going well for us-- guess it might not be her!
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: You know this isn't going to turn out well when vaccination comes up and doc says

One of the pedis we saw at the practice my son went to did that to me, and talked down (terribly!) to me. I was telling her in English because my Medical German is totally not up to par. I was literally P*ssed off because of how she was treating us as ignoramuses.

She made me so ill that I told my DH to talk to the ladies at the desk and request the other two male doctors and put "NO APPOINTMENTS with Frau Dr ___________" on our information - that there was no way in Heck that I was seeing her again, I would walk out if she walked in, no questions asked. I don't care if the German CPS IS reported because I walk out on her. She's a freak of nature.

Ironically enough, our good friends have their son at the same pedi practice but are pro-vax (and on time too!). They got talked into the combi shots, BUT - have agreed the female doctor is absolutely out of her mind.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
mbsr76
Registered Users

Re: You know this isn't going to turn out well when vaccination comes up and doc says

Yeah, our ped that we're not seeing anymore is the same. Goes on and on about how studies have shown there is no link between vaccines and anything bad, they don't cause anything bad, blah blah blah. He even had a problem with us spreading them out, even if we come in for extra visits, just so we'd know WHICH vaccine she had a reaction to if she did. I don't know why I even really discussed it with him because I knew we wouldn't be coming back to him after this last appt. since I've already found a ped who supports parents in making their own informed decisions.

Good luck finding a new ped!
mbsr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Yep - its hard. If you act nice they feel comfortable being critical and pushy. If you play hard ball - you run the risk of them calling someone on you or dismissing you as a patient. I have been lucky with my second. My DS first pediatrician was young and very open to understanding what information was floating around out there. Plus b/c I was older than him he seemed to really have an attitude like "okay - she probably knows what she's doing" Now I'm lucky b/c I'm in an area where alot of kids are not in the best environments - so when a Dr. sees a parent who is obviously caring, informed, etc - they don't seem very tempted to argue about the details.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Oh - I have found it useful to say something like
"Do you know how profitable drug companies are - do you realize what a huge lobby they control?"
"Do you realize all the issues with the FDA? (Funding from drug companies, appt of head people from these companies, trying to push drug through faster, very limited follow up research after drug goes on market) Is that something that you feel comfortable with?"

Plus - hehehe - how do you think they pay for all those pens, clipboards, notepads, lunches............. (ooooh - don't go there) You will definitely end up with a note in your chart or a dismissal.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
vsolly
Registered Users
seller

I am a little frustrated too on this issue. Our ped has always said that he's pro-vax, but took us as a patient anyway. Shortly after his birth he made parents agree by signature to specific delayed schedules. My good friend takes her baby and falls into this category. Then last week she overheard him turn down a new patient because parents wanted to delay, and referred them to a different doc and said they should be careful because CPS can be called on them!!!
Now we are both a little unnerved, but she only has one visit before moving out of state so not too worried. I am not worried right now, but wondering what he'll have to say when we want to delay our next child (in a few years!)...
Old 04-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Seriously, do we go to the same doctor??? Ugh!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was positively surprised when I mentioned at the 12 month checkup that I will not let ds have the chicken pox vacc. , that my ped. said that it is fine, I could think about again when ds has to go to school and has not had the chicken pox by that time. I do certain vacc. , not all. At our first visit he told me his motto is, children you feed are growing and children you are reading to get smart. I thought that said a lot about him, at least to me. I like him.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our new peds were ok with us wanting to do the MMR later. We told our reason and they didn't give us a problem.

Def. try a different doc.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

One of the doctors Natalie saw asked if she could give me a book. I said "sure" and she gives me this VERY pro-vaccine book. NICE. Then, gives me this spiel on wouldn't I feel horrible if my daughter died of something they vaccinate for? She had family that died of these diseases and it was awful, bla bla bla. That was the last time I saw her and also the last time DD saw a doctor without BOTH me and DH.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote