Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Question anyone use/have a pizza/bread stone?

I was thinking of getting one of these, mainly for baking bread (which I'm about to start doing again.. soon.. ), but I have heard in the past that some of them crack really easily. So, I was wondering if anyone has one, what kind, how much has it been used, has it cracked, and would you buy it if you had to do it over again!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Taowensf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
redhotmavis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone use/have a pizza/bread stone?

I have had the same cheapo ($15)one for ten years and it is awesome! It has not cracked. I use it at least twice a week. I never immerse it in water (hence, no cracks). Just sprinkle cornmeal on it so the bread/pizza doesn't stick.

PS friends of mine had one that they dropped and it broke in half and they continued to use it with no trouble...
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 www.sparklegarden.etsy.com I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
smittybike
Registered Users
seller

We are on our second, one day it just broke when we took it out of the oven, we got our first one at Odd Lots, real cheap, we went for a fancy one this time, they both work great!
smittybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Oh, I love my Pampered Chef stones-they are the best in the world! They even come with a guarantee, if they break in the first year it is fully replaced no matter how it broke-I broke mine by having it on a burner and I turned the wrong burner onto high heat and the stone cracked in half so they mailed me a brand new one. If it breaks in the first 3 yrs, you can buy a new one for 50% off the price. They really are pretty indistructable, I have abused mine and they are all great! They cook soooooo well!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Oh, that's good news! Any idea how thick they are? I'm wondering if that has anything to do with cracking... hmm..
Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have a pampered chef one. We've had it for just over 7 years and never a problem. I do imerse it in water, but never soak it in water. It is used a couple times a month for pizza.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #7
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermomcchr View Post
Oh, I love my Pampered Chef stones-they are the best in the world! They even come with a guarantee, if they break in the first year it is fully replaced no matter how it broke-I broke mine by having it on a burner and I turned the wrong burner onto high heat and the stone cracked in half so they mailed me a brand new one. If it breaks in the first 3 yrs, you can buy a new one for 50% off the price. They really are pretty indistructable, I have abused mine and they are all great! They cook soooooo well!
I did the exact same thing about 3 months after I bought mine! I didn't know about the replacement policy at the time, and just ordered a new one. But I love our pizza stone, it works great!
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermomcchr View Post

I've got a pizza stone, a bread stone (the four loaves kind), a loaf stone, a pie stone and I just bought another pie stone.

They're awesome!!!!

thickness? I wouldn't say more than a 1/2 inch thick... i don't recall and I'm too lazy to check.. .but if you get onto Pampered Chef I'm sure you can find the answer you're looking for.

Good luck!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm cheap so I just use an unglazed quary tile. It's really the same thing, only WAY cheaper ($1-$3) so I don't care if it brakes (I haven't had it long but it's fine so far...)
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Taowensf
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post

I've got a pizza stone, a bread stone (the four loaves kind), a loaf stone, a pie stone and I just bought another pie stone.

They're awesome!!!!

thickness? I wouldn't say more than a 1/2 inch thick... i don't recall and I'm too lazy to check.. .but if you get onto Pampered Chef I'm sure you can find the answer you're looking for.

Good luck!!!

Are these all from pampered chef? I guess I *will* be heading over there soon!