Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Question Do you have a rice cooker?

I have been wondering about rice cookers and if its worth actually buying one or if it would just be one more piece of equipment and a pan would be just as good. lol So what do you think? Anyone have one and love it/ hate it? Which one do you have? Do you cook veggies or chicken or other things in the steamer part? How long does it take to cook rice?

(I always end up boiling the rice over since you have to bring it to a boil and then turn it down, I always end up with stinky rice water in my burners, lol. I am kind of not wanting to buy a rice cooker because I think if I could just catch the rice before it boils over... but then again, if its going to be used alot and make my life easier, I'm all for it.) What do you think?
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you have a rice cooker?

Oops, forgot to sub to the thread...
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I have one and every stinking time the rice is HARD i really love the pot method better
Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
redhotmavis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have one (the cheap 15 dollar one from target) and it has changed my life.LOL. I can cook anything, but always either burned or had soggy rice. Now it's great! I wouldn't trade it for anything....
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 www.sparklegarden.etsy.com I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmavis View Post
i have one (the cheap 15 dollar one from target) and it has changed my life.LOL. I can cook anything, but always either burned or had soggy rice. Now it's great! I wouldn't trade it for anything....

how do you do yours? Mine I have to add water right above the rice and then set it and wait. Seems like it needs more water.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Which ones do you guys have? Oh, and thats my other problem with cooking rice, it sticks like crazy to the bottom of the pan, does it do that with a rice cooker?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
redhotmavis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well mine came with a little measuring cup and corresponding lines on the inside of the pan...so two cups of rice, then you fill the pan up to where it says 2 and so on.

it hasn't stuck yet!
loving life with DH Andrew and WAHM to Lily, 8/1/06 www.sparklegarden.etsy.com I make jewelry, organic flaxseed hot/cold pads and eye pillows, organic bath salts and I love to trade. ISO XL or toddler sized Luke's Drawers size 18-24 mos Robeez in any condition.
redhotmavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Well, I am half-Korean so it's like in the rule books that I have to have at least two. It's the only way I know how to cook rice.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller

We have two, and we use one of them almost every day (and usually multiple times a day--rice is a staple in our home).

We absolutely couldn't get by without ours.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
tash
Registered Users

I used to have one that I loved. but now I have one that is ok. I like that I can just put in the rice and water and spices or whatever else and come back later without standing over it in the kitchen adding things and stuff. but the one I have now tends to get the rice too dry for my taste so I have to go and turn it off before it does that.

I also have used when I was pregnant to keep pregnancy tea warm all day. I would just turn it on and add the tea then in 15-20 min come back and turn it to warm and add sweetener. then I had nice warm tea all day long and I just had to ladel it out into a cup with a strainer over it.

I got mine on ebay for about $13 including shipping. I cant remember the brand though....