Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
tigger15623
Registered Users
seller

making own baby food Question

FOr you that make your own baby food, Is all i need to do is Boil what i want in till soft, I want to start with butternut Squash, Carrots and Sweet potatos any web sits or tips is there a wrong way to do it thanks for any help
Old 12-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
worldsaver
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: making own baby food Question

All you need to know is on this site http://wholesomebabyfood.com/

I steamed all my veggies because it holds in more nutrition. After I steamed, I used that same water to dilute it to the consistency I needed (except carrots because of the nitrates). On foods such as squash, I baked in the oven before pureeing. I froze in ice cube trays (1 oz each) before transferring to freezer bags

recipes are on that web site! When making peas, plunge straight into ice cold water after steamed to prevent them from being stringy/shelly
worldsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
trimom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes, you can bake them. Bake the carrots and potatoes whole. For the squash, cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and yuck, smear a little butter on the exposed meat, and bake the two halves on a cookie sheet. Then mill, puree, or just smash it up with a fork. All 3 of these veg will freeze beautifully in cups or in an ice cube tray.
trimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
tigger15623
Registered Users
seller

thanks so much I already boiled some Sweet Potatos and squash before i did this is it still ok thanks again
christy
Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
mrsjune
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I steamed all my veggies because it holds in more nutrition. After I steamed, I used that same water to dilute it to the consistency I needed (except carrots because of the nitrates). On foods such as squash, I baked in the oven before pureeing. I froze in ice cube trays (1 oz each) before transferring to freezer bags
This is what I did when my dd was eating baby food.
mrsjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

yeah, steaming is definitely best for keeping the nutrients in the veggies. when you boil them, a lot of the good stuff ends up in the water.

have you read the Super Baby Food Book? it was like my baby food bible - and i still turn to it for healthy toddler snacks when i get in a rut.
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Tess
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elissa View Post
All you need to know is on this site http://wholesomebabyfood.com/

recipes are on that web site! When making peas, plunge straight into ice cold water after steamed to prevent them from being stringy/shelly
I did this also and works great!
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
jlkhorn
Registered Users
seller

I always microwaved because you don't loose the nutrients as much. The only thing I boiled was peas because I used dry split peas. I also definitely recommend the book Super Baby Food. It's a bible for homemade baby food and is also great for snacks and things for older kids.
jlkhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:08 AM   #9
tigger15623
Registered Users
seller

thank you so much every one this info helps out so much is the that book on line or can i find it in stores we are just starting out with Solids and so far have just done butternut squash,Carrots, Sweet pototes and a fresh bananna once thanks again
christy
Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those were our first foods, too, Christy. 2 that require no cooking are avocado and ripe pear. Avocado can be mushed w/ a fork and pear run thru the processor/chopper (these two are our fallbacks when we don't have time to get to the farmer's market or time to cook.)