Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
child psychologist?

For 2 years now I have been struggling with my 4 yo DS's behavior problem. He cannot sit still for more than 1 min (unless it's a video game), very disruptive, abusive to other kids, just simply out of control.

I removed him from one day care because they could not handle him and we talking bad about ME in front of him. (long story) His next day care was much better and they thought perhaps it was his way of rebelling since he knew I was having DD (though the behavior was way before I even was pregnant). Well now I am home with them 24/7 and I notice he is off the wall. He punches holes in the wall when he gets mad, forgets things, cannot do anything for more than a min. Nuts! Today he punched his soccer coach in the privates. Also at soccer, I tried to help him (with DD in my mei tai so this is going to be a funny pic) with soccer. I was out of the field trying to give him the directions the coach was saying. No good. Usually it is me and two other parents PLUS the coach to try and get him to somewhat pay attention but it never works. He doesn't listen. It's like he is in his own little world. Other parents at the soccer games won't even talk to me now because he is just out of control. Yet he can be so smart in certain areas (he is a wiz at puzzles! The child can put together 100 tiny piece puzzles-of course taking constant breaks) and has such wonderful manners-always says please and thank you, tries to hold doors for people (though he is not really strong )

His bio-dad has some psychological probs (another LONG story) so I'm wondering if he inherited anything? Another parent today mentioned to me that if this is how he acted in pre-school last year, I'm in for a surprise in Kindergarten in 2007 So I want to see if I can get some sort of help now for him. I know our schools can be very accomodating to special needs kids but first they need a diagnosis before entering. Plus if he does have ADD or ADHD, he would qualify for the special pre-k classes next year that would really help him. I think he needs all the help he can get.

I did check out the early symptoms for a 4 year old and I was shocked to see he had every single one of them (even the early signs in infancy and toddler age). It would not shock me if he does have something.

But where do I start? Do I just take him to a child counselor or child psychologist? Our insurance does not require referrals, we can go where ever we want so I'm just trying to figure out what is the next step.

I have also read about changing diets to change behavior, any suggestions there? He does not eat anything sugary (aside from the occassional breakfast cereal) but he is more of a fruit and healthy food little man. (I'm so fortunate there)
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: child psychologist?

you need to get in touch with mental health...we are just now going through this with my son...we know he has sensory integration dysfunction but I thought that was it...but now I see he is likely highly functional Autistic...so I need to get him checked out to get the diagnosis..before his doc where we lived prior said to hold off because if it wasnt interfering with school we should not label him...I had him at a very open, relaxed, earthy school, but now he is in a small public school here and is having major issues with the inability to stop humming or low chattering constantly when they are instructed to be quiet. Also he spins ALLLLLL the time and is in his own world...he is in no way violent like the issues your son is having...but your son sounds a lot like the child I used to nanny for and he was diagnosed with depression possible bipolar and low self esteem. He started out with the hitting and kicking then it got so bad he threw a fork at his moms face and she has a huge scar!...So it needs to be treated now! he was put on meds and is great he even said he loves being happy now and doesnt have evil thoughts anymore....You can PM me if you wanna chat...
Old 05-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely have him daignosed. My son was very similar at that age and has been daignosed with ADHD and Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Every child is different so you should have him checked. If I had put my son on meds earlier than he wouldn't have been so miserable the last 5 years. He was almost expelled from kindergarten so I pulle dhim out after only 1 month of school. He was expelled from 1st grade then repeated 1st grade on half days. Then I homeschooled him for 2nd and now in 3rd he was almost expelled after only 1 1/2 months in school. We put him on meds this year (we had tried them previoulsy but long story there) and the school was really great and worked with us so all he ended up getting was put on independent study for the rest of the year. He is a totally different kid on the meds, night and day difference. There are still some behavioral issues but they are manageable now. He had been alienated by all the kids he met for a long time but now that he can manage himself he can actually get along with kids now. His prayer for a long time was that he just wanted to have friends and now he does. Don't hesitate fromcontacting the local mental health. They have many resources including working with them at school. You can PM me if you have any questions for me also.

I know how hard it is to deal with especially when everyone just thinks you are a bad mom bc of the behaviors they see.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

it does sound like he has some sort of disorder..possibly sensory...most likely some sort of autism spectrum disorder, like ADHD or even high functioning autism....has he been vaxxed? Has he been tested for mercury poisoning? He likely needs chelation therapy.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am calling his pedi tomorrow for suggestions on where to go. When my MIL took him to church this morning, one of the other mothers in the junior church mentioned to my MIL that she was going to give her a neurologist's name and number because she felt something was wrong with Dylin. This was before I even mentioned anything to my MIL about it. Apparently my entire family has all been waiting for me to admit that he has a problem. I just so wanted to believe that he was just an average 4 year old. But on the bright side, if he does have a problem he is going to get a personalized learning plan throughout school and so many other things to help him out. I was even told he will go to a specialized pre-k for FREE!!! Normally it's about $800-$1k a month! Woohoo! So I will let you all know what happens
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller