Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you've bf while pregnant....

Did you find anything that helped to increase your milk supply when the hormonal changes make it drop?

I'm not pregnant now, but I was pregnant when my oldest was 9 months, middle child was 7 months, and now my youngest is 4 months, and we totally welcome another child whenever.
My period recently came with a few days of low milk supply that gradually picked back up, which got me thinking about this.... in the past, I've noticed a decrease fairly soon upon pregnancy, another drop at 12 weeks or so, and by 20 weeks it didn't seem like there was much at all.

Have you found anything to help?

Last edited by *Hadassah*; 07-04-2009 at 09:29 PM.
*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you've bf while pregnant....

nope. my supply was totally gone by 10-12 weeks no matter what i did.. there isn't much you can do .. i tried drinking tons of water, eating well, and oatmeal.. youc an't take herbs and supply and demand no longer applies once you're pregnant ..
Old 07-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

no but i never really lost my milk while preggy.
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have not found anything to help. My 20m old still nurses 3-4 times a day but I am pretty sure the milk is gone.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
*Hadassah*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wonder why the hormonal changes affect some and not others...
So, if it drops during pregnancy, it's inevitably going away?
*Hadassah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

usually i've heard it just changes to colostrum during pregnancy, usually at 20+ weeks - sometimes sooner, sometimes later and you don't get much of that .. some people dry up first, some don't .. same as some mama's supplies are messed up by birth control pills and some are not ..

but if you know your supply has been effected in the past, it probably will be again - that is why i was extra careful not to get pregnant the first year after DS was born, now we're still not trying, but were not so careful .. since he is a year old, i know he could go without my milk if necessary .. i would have been devastated had he weaned before 1 year due to my milk drying up because i got pregnant .. between DD and DS i was open to having another baby whenever it was meant to be, but once i finally did get pregnant (DD was 17 mo) and my milk supply vanished, i knew i didn't want it to happen too early the next time..
Old 07-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Everything I read when I got pregnant said that you couldn't do anything to prevent it, you're body does what it needs to. Mine was gone by about 12weeks and then it came back when my colostrom came in and dd started nursing again then. GL momma!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I also experienced a drop in supply early in pregnancy--by 10 weeks or so. By 20 weeks I wasn't sure at all that I had anything left but continued to "nurse" anyway until around 36-38 weeks when colostrum came in. My toddler didn't like colostrum so he stopped nursing for a few weeks and picked right back up after the baby was born and the good stuff was back. I have only nursed while pregnant one time so I haven't had any other experience with it. Oh, I purposely didn't try anything to increase my supply because I was half-hoping to wean my toddler while I was pregnant (my boys are 19 months apart.) I didn't end up doing that; I nursed both boys until I weaned them at the same time at 3.5 years and 2 years old.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote