Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

For anyone who has taken Reglan or Domperindone...

Do you mind PM-ing me or posting here with your experiences, both in regards to effectiveness and side-effects? I'm researching the regulations for Domperindone (a Reglan alternative).

Because of the side effects associated with Reglan, it is not an option for many women, however Domperindone is only available if you are willing to import it from Canada or New Zealand, or if you physician is willing to misrepresent your diagnosis as reflux for the purpose of the prescription.

I have spoken to several pharmacists, lactation consultants, and physicians, as well as done my own preliminary research and the general consensus is that the basis for banning Domperindone for lactation purposes is based on a rather flawed study. Additionally, Reglan is manufactured by Wyeth, a corporation that also manufactures formula and could been perceived as having a vested interest in keeping a well-tolerated lactation medication out of the marketplace.

My father is a healthcare reform lobbyist and is very interested in helping me get this information in front of the right people, with the ultimate goal of lessening the restrictions that currently ban the use of Domperindone as a lactation assistant. I would love to be able to include anecdotal information regarding women's experiences with both Reglan and Domperindone.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: For anyone who has taken Reglan or Domperindone...

I took Domperidone two years ago to attempt to relactate for my son.
I did do some research into the side effects publicly known for each drug and sought out the experiences of women who'd taken them. After that I decided against even attempting to acquire Reglan and decided to get the Domperidone from a pharmacy in New Zealand.
It did make me gain weight (10lbs or so), and I was able to relactate a little (about 1oz/pumping at the end) but never recovered my full supply. As for emotional side effects, I was already pretty depressed from the guilt I felt for stopping breastfeeding so I honestly can't say it had any effect on me emotionally. If it did, I couldn't tell.
I took it for maybe a month, then stopped my mission to relactate, so I can't speak for REALLY long term symptoms.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Distinctive Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: shandyms
seller

My Mood:

I was given Reglan 6 days after having ds to boost my supply. I have been diagnosed with depression (5 yrs. ago) and am on Celexa daily to treat for that and anxiety attacks. The Reglan made my depression MUCH MUCH worse - to the point that I couldn't cope or handle the kids or even something so simple as showering and getting ready for the day. I was so depressed that I didn't WANT to breastfeed. I never noticed an increase in my supply, though I only took it for 3 days. After 3 days I quit the Reglan, because I could tell that things were getting progressively worse for me. LMK if I can supply you with any more info.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
jenniferd1031
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was worn out on the reglan. I thought it was just having a new baby but as soon as I stopped the reglan I had a suprising energy boost. Also my baby seemed more tired when I was on the reglan.

Reglan didn't even help us at all anyway.

Jennifer
jenniferd1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I stayed away from Reglan because of the horror stories. Domperidone did nothing for me, unfortunately. As a last-ditch effort, I tried the reglan. I didn't have any side effects, but it didn't seem to help my supply a ton, either. I do, however, still have a whole bottle that I plan on using once I start doula-ing on a regular basis. Since I have a low supply anyway (and can't pump), I am going to have to do something to maintain my supply when I have to be away from DS for extended periods of time.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took Reglan and it worked wonders...I did notice I was tired though. That could've just been normal mom stuff though lol. I took it for 2 months, when my son was 9 months old....I eventually just gave in and started him on solids....my milk supply then was fine. He just stopped nursing 10 days ago, because my like finally dried up this pregnancy.
I would rather try the dom though.....is it illegal to order from Canada? Do you need a script?
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Moonprysm;615518]As a last-ditch effort, I tried the reglan. I didn't have any side effects, but it didn't seem to help my supply a ton, either/QUOTE]
chameleon607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was given Reglan once in the hospital when I was pg and vomiting. I received it through an IV and instantly had a horrible panic attack. I couldn't sit down, all I could do was pace the floor until it was out of my system. The nurse went and looked up the side affects and found that that is one of them. I wouldn't take it again if they paid me! Not to say that would happen to you, I don't think it's a common side effect, but just wanted to throw that in there.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

First of all, this is great that you are doing this. When we (My LC and myself) realized I could not take Reglan due to the seriousness of the side effects, she really really really discouraged the use of dom. I felt "weird" about going against a medical professionals advice and it took me several months before I gave in and ordered the dom from NZ. Dr. Newman's online articles convinced me it was safe. He also has some condemning information regarding reglan.

I'm pming you also. Let us know your outcome! Good luck mama!
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Tanya- I wonder if she had succubmbed to the FDA's bogus warnings about Domperidone. They claimit was pulled because of heart related side effects. What they don't make widely known is that the people who had reactions to it were HEART patients given high doses through IV. Not people with no heart disease orally.

My Doc says it is because the makers of Reglan paid off the FDA, Reglan is way more dangerous to the average person.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote