Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Will I get my supply back?

I have a 3 week old baby and while I'm trying to breastfeed it's just not working so I've been pumping while I wait for a SNS to get here. I was pumping about 4 times a day and getting between 4 and 6 oz per session but was told I needed to pump every 2-3 hours to get my supply where it needs to be. I've been doing that between today and yesterday and it feels like I'm getting less with pumping more. Now I'm lucky to get 2-4 oz per session. After a few days of this will my supply start to increase? I'm hoping I won't have to pump for much longer but if he still won't nurse with the SNS than pumping is what I'll do. I'm just nervous seeing how little I've been getting. Thanks mamas!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Will I get my supply back?

I think 2-4 ounces every 2-3 hours is normal. I nurse 100% of the time I am home but pump during my 24 hour shifts. I also aim for 2-3 hours between sessions of pumping and usually get 2 ounces from each side with the time frame. Pumping frequently is going to be more important than the large quantity you get from waiting. Emptying the breast every 2-3 hours tells it to produce enough milk to accomodate a feeding every few hours. Longer amounts of time between sessions will eventually lead to lower production. You're doing great mama! Keep up the good work!
Allyssa wife to G since August 2003
Mommy to boys: M*March 2006 and C*May 2009
FT WOHM-Paramedic
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Carolina Kel
Registered Users
My Mood:

If you do the math, you're actually making more:

4x per day X 5 oz average = 20 oz.

8x per day X 3 oz average = 24 oz.

Hang in there! Like the previous poster stated, pumping often and regularly after birth helps establish a good supply.
Carolina Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Keep up the great work. Pumping doesn't do as well as the baby nursing at the breast. Once you get the SNS it will help with your supply. Hang in their mama.
Tammy wife to Robbie, mommy to CJ (4): and Chloe Sage (1):
love2cuddlecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

2-3 oz every 3 hours should be enough milk for a 3-week old. I can usually get about 2 1/2 oz from pimping, and it's enough for a missed feeding for my one-month old.

Check out the book The Nursing Mother's Companion. There is a chart in the back for calculating how much pumped milk your child needs based on weight. Or if you PM and remind me, I can send you the formula from the chart.
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote