Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Registered Users
Anyone hire a Mother's Helper?

I totally hate to admit it, but I've been feeling really overwhelmed since Clara was born. With the other two kids soooo much older than her I had such a routine down with the housework and their schedules (or I just had it too easy ). I feel like I'm not getting things done that I need to. I'm starting to get behind on laundry, basic things like dusting, mopping, etc. where I used to do them every day before she was born. I end up rushing every evening to get dinner finished even though I have a thousand crockpot recipes...I even forget to do that! lol

I had thought about just having someone come clean once or twice a week but I honestly LIKE cleaning and DH really doesn't want anyone in our house while we're not home and *I* don't want to sit on my butt and watch someone clean, KWIM? DH thinks I have unrealistic expectations as far as what the house should look like and I'm not sure if i do or not. Growing up everything had a place and it was expected to be IN that place. We never had to rush to *grab and run* like we've been doing the last couple months lol. When someone comes to the door I find myself grabbin whatever is out in the living room and running to throw it in my bedroom really fast...and I can't believe I'm admitting that!!! DON'T LAUGH!

So I thought about hiring a helper to come a few days a week for a couple hours at a time. That way I'd be here with Clara, but able to get everything done while DH is at work and the older two are in school. They might even get dinner at 5:30 like they did in the pre-Clara days

Now that I've rambled on and on...thoughts? experiences?

Last edited by AttachedMama; 05-24-2006 at 09:15 PM.
AttachedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Anyone hire a Mother's Helper?

In the same boat...
Dre, wifee to my hubby, Mama to Micah (6) , Kit (5) and Jude (2)
ISO: trainers...
drenotdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
Yarn Snob
My Mood:

I'm in the same boat.. interested to hear what people say. I'm unsure of trying to find some help yet though, because DS will be starting school in the fall.. and honestly he seems to take up SO much more of my attention than DD does... so I almost wonder if perhaps things will get better once I'm not constantly having to figure out things for him to do (he gets bored REALLY easily!)
Sarah photographer mom to Seth (7), Kaia (3), and my lucky little Odin born 7/7/07!
EasterBunz is now part of Tiny Lady Cooperative!
{my crafty blog} {my photo blog} {my flickr}
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Users

i only have one, dh works from home (so he can help me out too), and our house is still a mess most of the time. what does that say about me ??

anyway, it is actually getting easier to do housework now that Molly's a)old enough to "help" some and b)better at entertaining herself. there are of course some things i don't do while she's awake (scrubbing bathtubs, mopping the floor, etc.).

a lot of ladies here have used FlyLady to help them get organized. i've used some of her stuff but mostly fallen off the wagon of late. but she has lots of good advice about getting yourself organized in a systematic way...although it sounds like you kinda already have a system.

summer might be the perfect time to find a teenager/pre-teen with some time on their hands to help you out. how old are your older two? are they old enough to help you keep your youngest entertained while you get stuff done?

good luck! and let us know what you figure out (i know i can use all the suggestions i can find )
Katie(31) - Molly (9-30-04) & Allen (3-11-07) ~ Feedback: Old DS PIN Ebay
wbkt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I just lowered my expectations...hehe!

I have 2, pregnant with my 3rd amd I dont' have a job. But there just seems to be NO way for me to keep up on housework all the time. So I'm just getting over it. I can either spend all my time cleaning and being worn out or just relax a bit. I would TOTALLY hire a helper if it was something I could afford to do...I can't so...I relax
Currently Single mommy to Aspen (7), Chloe (5) and Layla (3)

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't have any experience, but I think you could sure try it & see how you like it & if it works for your family!! You sound like a very neat person & what you see as a mess, many others may barely notice! But for you to feel better about your home, I hope everything at your house finds it's place soon!
Jennifer, mommy to zander, 5/30/04 & maddie, 7/8/07 & lizzie 10/01/09
born at home, breastfed, cloth diapered, co-sleeping, gently disciplined & loved
Cleaning out the closets! New Cloth Wipes & Embroidered Shirts $6/dozen & /shirt!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote