Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Sorry, I know this has been covered....

but I really need reassurance. With all four of my other dc, I started solids at 4 months, just like the books say to do (or they did then, now they say 6 months). Anyway, at 6 months I fed dd some solids, but she absolutely hated it. Now she's 7 months and I haven't fed her solids in like 3 weeks.

It's hard to get past the mindset that she's going to starve or isn't getting enough nutrients. It seems silly because she is eliminating just fine. But I just need reassurance that I don't need to feed her solids right now! Tell me when you guys started!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sorry, I know this has been covered....

My son was the same way and still is. some days (he is 10 months) he eats half a jar of solid and some he eats 3 jars. but there have been MANY days he ate nothing other then breast milk. My dr. said that breast feed babies sometimes have a hard time with the diff. textures and will thrust out the food rather eat it. So i would pinch Noah's cheeks together like a fish and shove it in. (this was the only way to get him to keep it in.) I did that for 3 months until he finally decided he liked it! I felt like I was force feeding him. But I felt the same way WORRIED out of my mind! I am a first time mom and was so concerned. Don't worry just talk to your ped.
are you breast feeding?
Hope this helps!
Hayley
Old 05-25-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Thanks, Haley. Yes, I am bfing, and this is actually my first time successfully bfing so I don't have prior experience with this. She definitely seems more satisfied after eating than my other dc did with bottles.

My ped is very mainstream and so I don't really trust her with this issue. She already told me to start solids at 6 months (our relationship isn't the same ever since I told her I wasn't vaxing anymore). But, if dd is getting more nutrients through breastmilk than she would be with solids, I would rather just continue nursing for awhile.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Kyla is 8 1/2 months and just now started eating solids on a regular basis! She so did not want them earlier! Our dr was also very "concerned" that she wasn't eating, saying she needed the cereal for iron etc. She is fine and she still won't eat cereal! Your babe will eat when she is ready! I know lots of mamas who don't feed solids for the first year and their babes are fine and healthy!

Congrats on your successful breastfeeding relationship!!! And trust your gut. Your DD is wonderful! I promise!
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

My DD didnt start eating solids until a year. At that time she was "ready" and she started eating them very regularly. *and she went straight to table food, we dont have any allergies in the family so we werent REALLY strict on making sure we only fed one thing for a week or whatever*

She was always healthy and her iron levels were ALWAYS JUST FINE!

IMHO until a year any solid food is just "practice" (IF you are nursing)

I plan on doing the same with the new baby as I did with my DD. Of course if he WANTS it I wont deny him...but, if he doesnt WANT it...then I am not going to force him.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

we first offered solids to molly at about 6 months but she was NOT interested at all. so i would offer just when i thought about it - which worked out to once a week or less. then around 9 months or so, we started offering her table food (cut small) and she was much more interested in that. she still doesn't eat a ton but it's very gradually increased. and only since about 15 months or so has she really started taking any noticeable amount of her nutrition from solids. and even now she still has days where she doesn't eat much and just nurses.

i think the important thing is just to offer her opportunities to try solids/textures and when she's ready she'll eat them.

you're doing great.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I introduced solids when my breastfed baby was 6 months old, but he hated them. We kept trying every few weeks, but it wasn't until he was 10.5 months old that he finally ate them.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With dd #1, I started at around 6 mos. I then realized how much easier it was to just nurse and not deal with solids at that age. So, I think we started at maybe 11 months with the next two and around 9 months with #4. Breastmilk is such complete nutrition..I figure why substitute somthing inferior for somthing FAR suprerior!! Also, I'm a little lazy! Our family doc recommends exclusive breastfeeding for one year. He's also pro co-sleeping and said that if he had to do it over, he wouldn't circ his sons Enough for me!
Old 05-29-2006, 04:43 AM   #9
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my DC are ff (though I so wish I could have bf longer than 2 weeks) With my DS, I started him at 4 1/2 months with solids and he did great.

With my DD, I was waiting to see some cues from her. She sits at the dinner table with us for all of our meals and at 4 months she started to reach out of stuff and would mimick us eating and chewing (it was so cute to watch) so I started her with some baby food and she has been doing great She gets rather upset if we are eating and she is not even if we just give her a bottle at the table, it keeps her content
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote