Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 AM   #1
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs down they stink again already ughh

i just bleached my inserts 3 days ago so today was my wash day and i just pulled them out of the dryer and they stink again am i maybe not using enough detergent? I was using i tbls of tide for about 15 diapers plus inserts and liners. Im getting frustrated ive tried stripping with dawn, boiling, bleach, baking soda and vinegar is there anything else to try?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: they stink again already ughh

sun, works wonders! Lay them out in it when they're sopping wet and let them get the breeze and lots of bright sun. Works every time for me. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:35 AM   #3
CufrM
Banned

If I have some stink, I'll strip them with dish soap, and then do exactly what the pp said. I usually try-keyword here, had a lot of rain lately-to sun my stash once a week. My neighbors think I'm nuts! I wash washing every 3rd day, up until about 2 months ago, and the inserts were stinking seriously. I noticed that if I wash small loads daily or every other day, I don't get any stink. I'm not a big fan of daily washing but if it keeps the stink away, I'm all for it! Good luck!
CufrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
kelley0427
Registered Users
seller

I agree with using Dawn. The blue stuff works the best! That is all I wash my diapers with because of stink issues.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #5
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

I've read on a few sites that Tide is not a good detergent to use as it is pretty harsh. I have been doing a lot of research myself on the detergent/smell issue and finally tried "Method free and clear" (from Target). It's definitely more expensive, but seems to work well. I also sun my dipes and inserts and never put them in the drier. That being said, I live in So Cal, so it's easy for me to do that! As for using enough detergent, it sounds like you may not have enough. I use a 1/2-1tbs for 5 liners and dipes (that's all I have now). I read that you should check your rinse cycle to make sure there are no suds left. If there is soap residue, then you will have smelly dipes and you should run a rinse cycle until there aren't any more suds.

Hope your smelly insert issue is resolved!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #6
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Do they smell like urine or poop? I've heard if they smell poopy that you aren't using enough detergent and urine is build-up.

That's got to be so frustrating! Have you tried switching detergents? Maybe you just need a new detergent or something.

I hope you can figure it out!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm..I do not personally use Tide detergent because I think it smells! Could that be your stink?

Have you tried using TTO in your soak load?

Have you tried the simple green/washing soda homemade detergent receipe? I heard this works but we forgot to try it again! Next time!

Do you soak your dipes in vinegar too? I found that helped us much more than just adding vinegar in the rinse.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetforestcat
Have you tried the simple green/washing soda homemade detergent receipe? I heard this works but we forgot to try it again! Next time!

Do you soak your dipes in vinegar too? I found that helped us much more than just adding vinegar in the rinse.
Cherie,
how does the homemade detergent recipe go? Never heard of it but I'd love to know!

Also if you soak the dipes in vinegar, does the vinegar smell come out afterwards? I've only tried using it a few times and couldn't stand the smell they had even after another rinse... (Maybe I overdosed them? )
Old 05-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
ercvt
Registered Users

My Mood:

Like others have said- too much detergent. In fact we don't use any. We use TTO, baking soda and occasionally vinegar, or if its a very poopy load- Oxyclean. In fact I used oxyclean lately on some prefolds that had stayed stuffed and got mildewy in the dry pail. Oxyclean ( and 3 washes) has everything much nicer smelling.