Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
nicolewilbanks
I could not ask for more
seller

Location: Wherever the Navy takes us, but always a Southern Belle at heart
My Mood:
Can this be done?!?!

I hope you don't think I'm crazy, but I have a question I'm serious about. Any advice is appreciated.

My daughter is 5 months old and was in the NICU for a few weeks after she was born. She was on a NG tube and was not allowed to breastfeed until a day before she was released (I pumped and it was bottle fed to her). Once we got home, she refused to latch and screamed for an hour if I didn't just feed her w/ the bottle. I had 2 LC work hours w/ me in trying to get dd to latch and eat. She did SNS, shields, every thing. I finally gave in and I regret it everyday. There are times I even cry while I'm giving her a bottle of formula b/c she is our last baby and I desperately wanted to successfully bf for at least a year.

This may be totally silly and not even possible but I have to ask. Is there any way that I can get my milk supply to come back? I think I've heard of adoptive mothers taking something so that they can bf their newly adoptive child, but I'm not sure.

FTR: She will latch. I've tried several different times to see what she would do.

TIA for any help or advice.
and ISO/IHA
nicolewilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
2&2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can this be done?!?!

I saw some advice on this at milkshare.com! Good Luck mama, I am sure it can be done, but it will probably not be an easy process! If you are really determined you can do it!!!!

Last edited by 2&2; 01-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.
2&2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've heard it can be and there was a mama on here a couple of years ago who did just that. She started taking mother's milk and pumping around the clock. Only fed her baby w/ a SNS. I know she was getting some milk, not sure if she every got up to full-time feeding. But even a little is good right?

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

I am still nursing my adopted 10mo DD check out www.asklenore.com it is a website for relactating, inducing lactation etc. you should just be able to put her to the breast with an sns and pump after wards.
just the baby sucking actually stimulates prolactin and oxytocin to make milk. blessed thistle and fenugreek, 3 capsules each 3 times a day, lots of water and oatmeal, look up the recipe for lactation cookies and if you need it, domperidone. I got mine from inhousepharmacy.com I would get baby to the breast now before she doesnt like it and won't take it. then feed her at the breast every time, even at night with the sns. It has only been 5 months so your milk should come back quickly.
good luck! feel free to pm me.
misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misidawnrn View Post
I am still nursing my adopted 10mo DD check out www.asklenore.com it is a website for relactating, inducing lactation etc. you should just be able to put her to the breast with an sns and pump after wards.
just the baby sucking actually stimulates prolactin and oxytocin to make milk. blessed thistle and fenugreek, 3 capsules each 3 times a day, lots of water and oatmeal, look up the recipe for lactation cookies and if you need it, domperidone. I got mine from inhousepharmacy.com I would get baby to the breast now before she doesnt like it and won't take it. then feed her at the breast every time, even at night with the sns. It has only been 5 months so your milk should come back quickly.
good luck! feel free to pm me.
This is awesome! I think it would be great if you can get your milk going again!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
nicolewilbanks
I could not ask for more
seller

Location: Wherever the Navy takes us, but always a Southern Belle at heart
My Mood:

Thank you so much for the support mamas. I know it's a long shot but it's def something I want to try. Melissa, I'm def pm'ing you.
and ISO/IHA
nicolewilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

check out kellymom lots of info on relactating
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GL sweetie!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
valerie mom of 4
Registered Users

My Mood:

Best of luck
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
VWgurl619
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good Luck! I'm sure tons of mamas got your back!

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyWorldTravelSaraRobinson
VWgurl619 is offline   Reply With Quote