Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Private parts itching?

My dd is 2 1/2. She has eczema, but it's pretty much under control at this point now that we've eliminated all the allergens. However, she still has really dry skin. For the past 6 months or so, she CONSTANTLY scratches her private parts. Her hands are always in her pants. She is fully potty trained. I've had her checked and there's no sort of infection or rash or anything. What can I put on it/do to give her some relief? It doesn't even look red most of the time. I am wondering if it's just dry skin, so I started lathering her up in lotion every day. That helped with her itching everywhere else, but not in her private area. Any advice? Her pediatrician just tells me to put the prescription meds on her that she prescribed, but that's for a yeast infection and she doesn't have a yeast infection. She has no discharge or weird smell or pain when urinating, either.
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: Private parts itching?

If it's any consolation, yeast meds are very safe. It might be worth a try! My daughter had this itching problem a while back and we found that it helped if I wiped her off thoroughly with a wet wipe or washcloth. She just wasn't getting 100% clean and it was bothering her.

Are you sure she's itching, or is she just touching herself? That can be pretty common at that age, too.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
If it's any consolation, yeast meds are very safe. It might be worth a try! My daughter had this itching problem a while back and we found that it helped if I wiped her off thoroughly with a wet wipe or washcloth. She just wasn't getting 100% clean and it was bothering her.

Are you sure she's itching, or is she just touching herself? That can be pretty common at that age, too.
No, it's itching. She will scratch and say, "My gina hurts!" or "My gina itchy!" I may try wiping her with wet wipes for a while and see if that helps. I try to make sure she's really, really dry and clean when I wipe her, but I do know that she didn't do this when she wore a diaper. I think I may get some of those flushable wet wipes and try those for a few days.
Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Piper's Closet
Registered Users
Formerly: ewalk585 **DO NOT FSOT~ADMIN**

My Mood:

she may still have a yeast infection and that is why the doctor gave her meds to rule it out. i have had ones in pass , that don't have the typical smell or discharge and they are still vary, vary horrible. yeast is a vary funky problem i urge you to continue using meds and to also try giving her more yogurt. also make sure diapers or undies are of natural fibers and that she is getting plenty of fresh air down there. i would also suggest stop using lotion down there as it may do more harm if it is yeast. hot moist environment not good. i actually had a yeast problem on my belly when last preggos because i used lotion so much.
Piper's Closet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalk585 View Post
she may still have a yeast infection and that is why the doctor gave her meds to rule it out. i have had ones in pass , that don't have the typical smell or discharge and they are still vary, vary horrible. yeast is a vary funky problem i urge you to continue using meds and to also try giving her more yogurt. also make sure diapers or undies are of natural fibers and that she is getting plenty of fresh air down there. i would also suggest stop using lotion down there as it may do more harm if it is yeast. hot moist environment not good. i actually had a yeast problem on my belly when last preggos because i used lotion so much.
I can't give her yogurt because she is allergic to milk protein. But, I can pick up some probiotics that don't have milk in them and give her some of those. Thanks for the advice! I'll just keep putting the yeast cream on her.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd is 26 mos and EXACTLY the same thing for us, from exzema to the itch. had her checked a few times and everything is fine...big question mark for me too.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Is she constipated? Sometimes kids with chronic constipation get irritated down there. Don't ask me why it's linked, I have no idea. But it is. Try to fix the constipation, if she is, and also you can put hydrocortisone cream (OTC) on her to clear up the itching. Don't do it all the time, like everyday or anything. Just as needed when it comes back. It's really safe, and works really fast.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
Is she constipated? Sometimes kids with chronic constipation get irritated down there. Don't ask me why it's linked, I have no idea. But it is. Try to fix the constipation, if she is, and also you can put hydrocortisone cream (OTC) on her to clear up the itching. Don't do it all the time, like everyday or anything. Just as needed when it comes back. It's really safe, and works really fast.
Nope, no constipation, thankfully! I have had to put hydrocortisone on her before when it got really bad. It definitely works fast! But, I HATE putting that stuff on her, especially in the genital area. The itch always comes back within a couple days, too.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
gimberly
Registered Users

What laundry detergent do you use? My mom use to have to air dry my undies and I'd sleep panty-less b/c of such issues.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
lovemyryguy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimberly View Post
What laundry detergent do you use? My mom use to have to air dry my undies and I'd sleep panty-less b/c of such issues.
I tried using fabric softener once, and I had to stop using it because I became so itchy and irritated! It was terrible. I don't even use dryer sheets anymore.

I also sometimes have bouts of itchy-ness that just get worse the more I scratch. I've used the OTC anti-itch meds (like vagisil) and that helps a lot. A night of sleeping underwear free always does the trick too!