Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
mmjones13
Registered Users

My Mood:
joing y'all soon

Hi!
I currently live in the States but I'm fixing to move to Canada and I wanted some insight on what life is like in Canada for a family. I know this is very broad but any input would be great. I have three children and I want to know things like:do kids wear school uniforms or reg clothes, activities for families, food, cultural norms, etc etc I've been to Canada once, but it was to visit only. To be honest, I'm a little nervous about moving as I'm sure it's a big change from Mississippi.
mmjones13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
ALovelyStart
Registered Users
Formerly: OnTheJourney
seller

Re: joing y'all soon

Where in Canada are you moving?

Oh... doesn't matter - we all live in igloos and end every sentence with "eh?"; Just jokes... Hope you enjoy your move here.

Pop By my Fan Page on Facebook!
Shop at my Hyena Cart or come by my DS WAHM Tread! Stocking on Bitty Fluff 1st & 3rd Fridays and A La Mode on the 15th of the month!
ALovelyStart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Bumby
Registered Users
Formerly: steph_sohier
seller

My Mood:

I always say, you find what you want to find... so look for some nice mamas! I hope that you don't find it too big of a culture shock. There is a lot of open spaces in some parts of the country, so a 2 hour drive isn't far. Where are you moving to?
WELCOME TO CANADA!
Bumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
tjoy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Other than needing to know how to correctly order from Tim Horton`s, it`s really not all that different here
ing, baby-wearing, vegetarian, non-circ-ing, vaxing mama to Liam 11/17/2009. #2 is on the way
my IHA/ISO
tjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
cjs4kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL, honestly, you will NOT find it any different at all then from the US.

To answer your questions better, could you tell us what part of Canada you are moving too?
Wester, Eastern, Central, Northern Canada?
Each part of our country is a tad different....just like the east coast & west coast of US is different from each other & a Texan is different then a New Yorker.

The school uniform question I can answer though! Aside from going to a private school, there will likely be NO uniform required.

Our food is exactly the same as your US food. When you go grocery shopping, you'll recognize ALL the brand labels. Your KD looks exactly the same as our KD.

PS....when you come up, can you bring 400 cases of Cherry Coke & PM me when you get here? LOL, jk....we no longer sell it here....*sigh* I love that stuff.

Over-all you should like it very much. I've never heard any immigrants say "Damn....I hate Canada." LOL, but all kidding aside, Canada is very similar to US. We share the same cultural habits & life styles, eat the same foods, drink the same Starbucks, watch the same TV shows & movies, listen to the same music, wear the same clothes. Aside from Tim Hortons & our beautiful colored money....you'd never know you weren't in the US.

Oh...and you might find that Canadians will assume that since you are American..that you are rude & arrogant. eeps....not everyone will think that....but a lot will. *where is that hiding under the chair thingy?!*

ETA: when you find a Tim Hortons, just say: Large double-double then move on quickly...or you'll find yourself facing some very irritated coffee-hounds.
(double-double is 2 sugar & 2 cream, triple-double is 3 sugar & 2 cream)
ISO: OLD STYLE Fuzzi Buns sz S & M No pinks. PM me!

Last edited by cjs4kids; 03-25-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Timmies!!!
cjs4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs4kids View Post
Our food is exactly the same as your US food. When you go grocery shopping, you'll recognize ALL the brand labels. Your KD looks exactly the same as our KD.
Except it's not called KD in the US, is it? Isn't it Kraft Macaroni & Cheese?

Also, Smarties are different. They contain chocolate in Canada! Mmm...
NSnewmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
cjs4kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSnewmom View Post

Also, Smarties are different. They contain chocolate in Canada! Mmm...

Uhm....so what is inside the Smarties in the US?? Is it fake chocolate??
ISO: OLD STYLE Fuzzi Buns sz S & M No pinks. PM me!
cjs4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
CHERUBUMS
Registered Users
Formerly: mnotley75
seller

My Mood:

Smarties in the US are what we call Rockets... the little rolls of pastel coloured sugar candies, wrapped in celophane with the red ink on the twisted ends.

Quote:
Uhm....so what is inside the Smarties in the US?? Is it fake chocolate??
Michelle
Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
PS....when you come up, can you bring 400 cases of Cherry Coke & PM me when you get here? LOL, jk....we no longer sell it here....*sigh* I love that stuff.
A mama after my own heart...everytime I go to the States I drink that stuff like it's goin' outta style (cos apparently it is up here... )

Oh ya, from what I've heard Timmie's is waaaaay more popular in ON than at least out west. I mean it's popular here but there it's POPULAR
(like every street corner )!! lol

Last edited by crazylife; 06-24-2010 at 06:19 PM.
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
NSnewmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Actually, I spend a lot of time on another parenting message board and I am always amazed at some of the things American parents have to deal with. Overall, I can say that the culture of Canada is a lot more family friendly. For one thing, we get a year of maternity leave! Plus, there's the health care issue, which you should know all about. Also, I think the culture is more breastfeeding friendly and NIP is not a big deal (which, I get the impression it is in the States). Welcome to Canada, whatever province you end up in!
NSnewmom is offline   Reply With Quote