View Poll Results: Has your circ'd son had complications?
Yes, my son had major complications 6 3.45%
Yes, my son had minor complications 19 10.92%
Yes, my son had both major AND minor complications 2 1.15%
No, my son did not have any complications 100 57.47%
My son is intact/uncircumcised 50 28.74%
Other (explain) 3 1.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Has your circ'd son had any complications, major or minor?

Not starting the pro/anti circ debate, just curious how many mamas of circ'd boys have had to deal with complications from circumcision?

My DS unfortunately had both major complications (bleeding right after surgery, ended up needing a transfusion and a SECOND circ surgery) and now is having minor circ related issues, a buried penis and some adhesions that my pedi told me to pull back gently in the bath. He still acted like it was uncomfortable, but didn't cry, poor little guy.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
crazykerry
Registered Users

Re: Has your circ'd son had any complications, major or minor?

Very sorry to hear that your son is having complications. Hopefully he gets better soon.
crazykerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I don't know if this counts, but my son has a "semi-circ". The doc didn't take enough foreskin off during the circumcision, so there is still a lot of skin left around the tip. He doesn't look circ'd and he doesn't look intact- he's somewhere in the middle. A few docs recommended I get him re-circ'd when he turned one, but when I pressed them as to the reasons why, they admitted it would only be cosmetic. I let them know that I wasn't going to expose my child to the risks of general anesthesia for a purely elective, cosmetic procedure. DH wasn't happy with my decision not to have it redone, but he was in Iraq, so he didn't get a say. DS will be 5 next month and it has never been an issue since.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
I don't know if this counts, but my son has a "semi-circ". The doc didn't take enough foreskin off during the circumcision, so there is still a lot of skin left around the tip. He doesn't look circ'd and he doesn't look intact- he's somewhere in the middle. A few docs recommended I get him re-circ'd when he turned one, but when I pressed them as to the reasons why, they admitted it would only be cosmetic. I let them know that I wasn't going to expose my child to the risks of general anesthesia for a purely elective, cosmetic procedure. DH wasn't happy with my decision not to have it redone, but he was in Iraq, so he didn't get a say. DS will be 5 next month and it has never been an issue since.
I'd say that still counts!
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
This happened to one of my twins and the only way I even KNEW it was different was because I had two babies to compare to. It never caused any problems and like they said, it would only be for cosmetic reasons.

I wouldn't consider this a complication by any means!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is intact, but both my brother (12) and my nephew (11) have had complications.

My brother didn't have issues until about a year ago. His boy parts were always exceptionally tiny though, we just figured it would grow eventually. But when he got older and puberty began, he ended up having to be rushed to the ER one night because his penis hurt and was turning blue. Turns out during his circ as an infact, a band of some kind formed that didn't allow his penis to grow! And it finally just got too tight! He had to have emergency sugery that night and they said if my parents had waited until the morning to get him in, he'd have lost his penis! So scary! AND on top of all that, just 2 months ago he had to have ANOTHER sugery for a completely unrelated reason (unrelated to the first issue that is)! His little pee hole was fusing and he couldn't get urine out. They had to go in and widen it. He's doing okay now and we're praying all his issues are over.

My nephew was just circ'd too tight. As a little boy, when he'd get erections, he's scream and cry because it hurt so bad. They can't do anything for that I don't think, and now that he's bigger I have no idea if it still happens or not, but I'd assume so. I just have no idea what he's going to do eventually... obviously that's a huge issue re: relationships if it doesn't fix itself and I can't imagine that it could.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Ds has had no complications from his circumcision.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
My son is intact, but both my brother (12) and my nephew (11) have had complications.

My brother didn't have issues until about a year ago. His boy parts were always exceptionally tiny though, we just figured it would grow eventually. But when he got older and puberty began, he ended up having to be rushed to the ER one night because his penis hurt and was turning blue. Turns out during his circ as an infact, a band of some kind formed that didn't allow his penis to grow! And it finally just got too tight! He had to have emergency sugery that night and they said if my parents had waited until the morning to get him in, he'd have lost his penis! So scary! AND on top of all that, just 2 months ago he had to have ANOTHER sugery for a completely unrelated reason (unrelated to the first issue that is)! His little pee hole was fusing and he couldn't get urine out. They had to go in and widen it. He's doing okay now and we're praying all his issues are over.

My nephew was just circ'd too tight. As a little boy, when he'd get erections, he's scream and cry because it hurt so bad. They can't do anything for that I don't think, and now that he's bigger I have no idea if it still happens or not, but I'd assume so. I just have no idea what he's going to do eventually... obviously that's a huge issue re: relationships if it doesn't fix itself and I can't imagine that it could.
I assume he could do stretching exercises to help pull more skin down. Like the guys who do restoration. It would probably take longer if he is that short on skin but he may have to do it just so he can have normal function. The Dr.'s have told my brother dn may need reconstructive surgery and skin grafting to make everything "right" down there. I think the start of it was his circ being far to tight, but now there are more problems from the adhessions and having had hidden penis for so long.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That isn't technically a complication. It is actually better for your son in the long run. More and more doctors are doing very loose circumcisions because the more typical "tight circ" can lead to complications and pain in puberty and adulthood. There is just no way to tell how much a child will grown when they are an infant, and if there isn't enough skin to grow into it leads to tight or painfully curved erections and even tearing of the shaft when erect. All that to say that there is a trend towards these looser circs by many Dr's today. So this isn't so much a complication as a difference in practice.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
AQW
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
That isn't technically a complication. It is actually better for your son in the long run. More and more doctors are doing very loose circumcisions because the more typical "tight circ" can lead to complications and pain in puberty and adulthood. There is just no way to tell how much a child will grown when they are an infant, and if there isn't enough skin to grow into it leads to tight or painfully curved erections and even tearing of the shaft when erect. All that to say that there is a trend towards these looser circs by many Dr's today. So this isn't so much a complication as a difference in practice.
Huh, I never heard that. We def noticed that DS2 must have more skin because it is often "covered" and we have to pull skin back to clean it in the bath. (I only do it when bathing, not every wipe or anything) Ped said to do the same thing. She said it was due to the "fat pad" on his belly that would go away when he is older. That the fat pad was pushing the skin over.

This seemed strange to me b/c DS1 was a fatty too he didn't have this going on. I think he was pretty exposed. Now I am worried about him . Although last time I saw it, he seemed to have a lot of loose skin, so I think it will be ok. TMI I know, but I would feel terrible if he had problems later in life.

But really, no complications at all. I disliked that plasti-bell thing they used now, but no problems.

Last edited by AQW; 04-14-2010 at 12:52 PM.
AQW is offline   Reply With Quote