Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:
pregnant and nursing

Hi
I just found out that I am pregnant. I don't know how far along yet since I never had a period. I will know more this week. I also have a 6 month old that I am still nursing. One of the OB's in my group suggested that I consider weening him because it could be unsafe for the baby to continue to nurse. I am looking for other feedback on this subject. What expierences have you had with this? So far my milk is ok and has not dried up at all. I have tried a bottle w/formula and my son wants NOTHING to do with it. So any ideas? My concern is that what if my milk does dry up and he still does not want the bottle???
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Kim
Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pregnant and nursing

Nursing during pregnancy is perfectly safe. Do a search on the internet if you find the mis/disinformation she gave you worrisome. Le Leche has quite a bit to say about it.

If you start to have problems with supply, Motherlove sells a herbal tincture designed to help maintain/increaser supply while pregnant and breastfeeding.
http://www.motherlove.com/product_mo..._glycerite.php
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
4kidzmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with the Mama above. Nursing while pregnant is safe as long as you have no complications.
There is a wonderful LLL book called Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding during pregnancy and beyond. It helped me out SO much when I was first pregnant, still breastfeeding, and nervous as can be.
4kidzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Kim~I'm expecting # 5 and am currently nursing my 16 mo old. I have nursed through all of my pregnancies and haven't had one problem (except tender nipples which comes and then goes for me after a few weeks). I haven't really noticed a decrease in my milk supply although my little guy is eating table food now too. As long as you aren't having any complications (preterm labor, vag bleeding, etc) it should be fine. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Radish4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am only 5 1/2 weeks pg, but I plan on bfing my 12 month old for as long as she wants! I haven't had any problems. I have had a miscarriage before, so of course I'm scared of another loss, but I am not going to stop doing something that my body has naturally given me to give to my DD...... Your doctor shouldn't use scare tactics like that with you!
Radish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
contemplation31
Registered Users

Just remember that nipple stimulation can cause contractions! The hormones that help your uterus shrink up post partum do so by causing your uterus to contract. Though Nip Stim rarely (to put it mildly) can start labor, it can cause long drawn out ctx that arent necessarily good for you or babe. Just something for you to be aware of and keep a eye on. Listen to your body, it'll let you know if you should stop

Eat healthy and continue your pre-natal vit's!
contemplation31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
kpapple
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpapple
Hi
I just found out that I am pregnant. I don't know how far along yet since I never had a period. I will know more this week. I also have a 6 month old that I am still nursing. One of the OB's in my group suggested that I consider weening him because it could be unsafe for the baby to continue to nurse. I am looking for other feedback on this subject. What expierences have you had with this? So far my milk is ok and has not dried up at all. I have tried a bottle w/formula and my son wants NOTHING to do with it. So any ideas? My concern is that what if my milk does dry up and he still does not want the bottle???
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Kim
First I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice. Here is a update. Friday I went and actually saw a doctor ( not the one who suggested I wean). I had a ultrasound done and I am 7 weeks and 5 days now and the due date is Jan 16. The doctor I saw just told me to keep nursing and if I had to make changes my body would let me know. So far everything is going well. Thanks again for your encouragment and advice!!

Kim
Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In most cases, the only thing that nursing during pregnancy will cause is a longer pregnancy. True with me. My two longest pregnancies were the two that I was nursing for half of. Both times my nursling weaned at that point because my milk all but dries up when transitioning (body starts producing colostrum again). It's safe, no worries.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote