Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:
who do you know that refuses to BF?

i've run across a couple of people i know lately who, for whatever reason, are refusing to breastfeeding. that in itself isn't even my big complaint, although i am VERY pro-BF'ing. but i am personally baffled at their reasoning for choosing NOT to breastfeed. one co-worker told me that she was just "too scared" to breastfeed. she said she was going to try at first, but then got too scared. the other (who is my BEST FRIEND in the WORLD, so i am particularly appalled by this one) said that she wasn't going to BF because "no way i'm having some baby s*ck on it!! (it being her b**b) SERIOUSLY?!!? that's your reason??

so it got me thinking, who do YOU know who refuses to BF, and what are their reasons? are they legitimate concerns? preferences? what??

disclaimer: please no one take offense to this post, i am just curious as to the reasons why people WOULDN'T BF

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: who do you know that refuses to BF?

Um... everyone IRL. None of my family does it (well the older ladies in my family have, but not any of their kids). No one in DH's family does, and none of my friends do. I've heard many reasons "it's too hard", " I don't have enough time", " I want the dad to bond with baby too", "I heard it hurts", etc.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
nicole999
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most people I know have choosen to BF for at least the first couple months. My mom, MIL, Aunts, SIL and cousins all BF'd until at least 6 months. My friends have mostly BF'd but some have stopped before 6 months, they seem to blame either supply issues or they were "too busy" with other kids. I do have one co-worker who told me she didn't BF her two kids because it's like incest. I couldn't believe she thought that and I asked her if she changed her babies diapers and gave them baths or was that molestation? Some people just don't make much sense!
Wife and best friend to loving DH , and mama to DS #1(4yrs) and expecting DS#2 (19/9/14
nicole999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
mamaktee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by mamaktee; 08-20-2010 at 12:25 PM.
mamaktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
katbriil
Registered Users

My Mood:

A girl I know from a mom's group told me she doesn't want to BF because she doesn't want her kids to need her that much.
katbriil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbriil View Post
A girl I know from a mom's group told me she doesn't want to BF because she doesn't want her kids to need her that much.
That's just sad ... No wonder there are so many displaced, abandoned children in America. Their parents don't want them to "need them that much". Seriously One of my all-time favorite quotes is... "Remember, You are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being."
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
nktigger99
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbriil View Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe a so called mother would say that!!!!!!!!!
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaktee View Post
My cousin's girlfriend had their DD right around the same time I had DS so me and her were sort of preggo buds. She is only 17 and she was freaked out about everything...understandably. We talked about BFing a few times as I was on the BFing boat from day 1 and she was not. She had a huge fear that it would mess her teen boobs up...

Anyway fast forward 9mths and she had changed her mind . She did really well for the first few months and then claimed she wanted to wean b/c she was..get ready...

Making too much milk!

I was totally confused...I had tried my best to BF my LO and only got a few weeks in him before I had totally dried up .

It is still hard for me to believe that was her actual reasons.
Actually, oversupply can be a HUGE issue. I'm dealing with it right now
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH's SIL (well his step-brother's wife) didn't BF any of her 3 kids, and she's a SAHM. I have no idea why not, as I've never brought it up with her (they live out of state and I've only met her a handful of times). But my MIL is pretty close to her, and I think she expects me to be "like" her. She always questions what I'm doing. When we first got on WIC about a month ago, DH was telling her how much food I get for BFing multiples. I didn't get the whole conversation, but I overheard him tell her on the phone, "No, mom, we won't be needing any formula for them".

Another big excuse I've heard is going back to work.

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
chippybug10
Registered Users

I don't bother to ask because if someone gives me one of the "it's sexual" or "i don't want to be that attached to my kids" excuses I'll probably get into a decent argument or at least give them a snide comment. It's not worth it to me so long as they allow me to feed my babe in peace.