Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
konayossie
Registered Users

When did your LO's reflux resolve?

I was reading one of the reflux threads below, and I noticed a couple people saying their LO's reflux resolved when they had a growth spurt/weight gain. DS is 12.5 months now, and most of his doctors had suggested that his reflux would be resolved by now, but it's not--in fact, it's gotten worse just in the last few weeks (I'm thinking maybe he needs to up his prevacid). Anyhow, just wondering when your LOs got over the reflux and what you associated it with (weight gain, walking, etc.). Thanks!

FTR--DS walks, is 12.5 months, but is still tiny--only 17.5 pounds.

Advertisement

konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did your LO's reflux resolve?

Kearnan's resolved for the most part by about 18months. But he still has stomach issues even now (he is 8.5yrs) and most of the people in my family suffer from GERD. The pedi gastro we saw when he was a baby told me it could take through age 2 for him to outgrow infant reflux.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I took Tay off prevacid around 11 months. His reflux isnt gone but he is handling better and not in severe pain like he was before. He is around 18lbs so still small but is doing great!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
3Daisies
Registered Users

My DD was off Prevacid at 7 1/2 months. She started at 8 weeks. I decided to do a really slow wean--about 1 month of cutting it down and then really watched her after the last dose. I didn't have high hopes but she surprised me.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Madeline is 4 1/2 years old and still has reflux - actually has break through reflux. She had a nissen wrap done at 7 months old and though it is in working order, she still refluxes past it.

Marshall is about to be a year old and hasn't outgrown his, but hopefully will. His is no where as bad as his big sister's but it still tough on the little guy.
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
mrsgrantis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daisies View Post
My DD was off Prevacid at 7 1/2 months. She started at 8 weeks. I decided to do a really slow wean--about 1 month of cutting it down and then really watched her after the last dose. I didn't have high hopes but she surprised me.
I had a similar experience as the poster above. DD was put on prevacis at 6 weeks and I slowly started weaning her off around 9mths. I did it over several months and she was med free by her first b-day.
Not sure weight, height, ambulation has anythign to do with it personally. BUt Dd atarted walking at 9mths and IS a chunky monkey 25 lbs at 1 yr
Old 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ashton's resolved for the most part when he was around 8-9 months old, but it would occasionally act up if he ate a lot of chocolate or spicy food. When he was about 18 months old, he started waking up screaming at night...doc said it was constipation, then night terrors, then just nightmares...it went on up until right after he turned four when I walked into the pediatrician's office and pretty much said "fix my kid or I'm not leaving" Doc re-diagnosed him with reflux, put him back on Zantac, and we're schedule to see a pediatric GI doc on the 30th.

The GI is planning on doing a barium swallow and maybe an endoscope (depending on barium swallow's results) to see what's going on, then we'll go from there. From just chatting with the GI, he doesn't seem to think its reflux, more likely an ulcer or that when he got his MMR shot (back before I knew better), the measles strain stayed in his intestinal lining and is causing issues...apparently a common side effect ?? They're also running the blood test for celiac disease although he isn't showing many of the common symptoms for it.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

Our GI doc said average is around 9 months but obviously still some kids still have it further (which is why she still has a job) but they don't start doing major testing for situations like ours till one year (we will not do the major invasive testing as it seems uncomfortable but manageable). At 7 months, its changing but still very much there - I may call her next week but its hard to say if its a growth spurt, or what or the reflux or just being opinionated (like his mom <g> or what.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When she was scoped at almost 4 & diagnosed with a true dairy allergy/allergic esophagitis. (Her esophagus swells when she is exposed to the tiniest bit--which holds open the valve to her stomach so the acid cannot stay inside.) She is so sensitive that when she has dairy, her system goes crazy for a week. Her bad flareup is almost immediate, but she will continue to have reflux for a week and be super-sensitive to anything else off in her diet, so it looks like she's allergic to everything!! But if we keep her off of dairy 100%, and off of soy except for small amounts in products (that she is okay with in small amounts except when she has a flare-up, looks like a mild allergy/intolerance), then she has NO reflux. She was on Prevacid 30mg for ages, and with several months of no dairy at ALL, she doesn't need it anymore. Now, give her a piece of pizza w/the cheese all removed, just crust/sauce, and that's enough to make her throw up, and set her off with constant reflux for the entire week. She only gets a rash when it's really bad, only a handful of times ever. It was just the reflux for years.

A lot of reflux resolves around 9 months when the kids start to sit up/crawl and strengthen the muscles around the stomach to help keep the acid in. When it's not just reflux from underdeveloped muscles though, then it has no reason to stop at 9 months.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 04-16-2010 at 06:36 PM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
konayossie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
When she was scoped at almost 4 & diagnosed with a true dairy allergy/allergic esophagitis. (Her esophagus swells when she is exposed to the tiniest bit--which holds open the valve to her stomach so the acid cannot stay inside.) She is so sensitive that when she has dairy, her system goes crazy for a week. Her bad flareup is almost immediate, but she will continue to have reflux for a week and be super-sensitive to anything else off in her diet, so it looks like she's allergic to everything!! But if we keep her off of dairy 100%, and off of soy except for small amounts in products (that she is okay with in small amounts except when she has a flare-up, looks like a mild allergy/intolerance), then she has NO reflux. She was on Prevacid 30mg for ages, and with several months of no dairy at ALL, she doesn't need it anymore. Now, give her a piece of pizza w/the cheese all removed, just crust/sauce, and that's enough to make her throw up, and set her off with constant reflux for the entire week. She only gets a rash when it's really bad, only a handful of times ever. It was just the reflux for years.

A lot of reflux resolves around 9 months when the kids start to sit up/crawl and strengthen the muscles around the stomach to help keep the acid in. When it's not just reflux from underdeveloped muscles though, then it has no reason to stop at 9 months.
Oh mama, that sounds terrible! I certainly hope my son's reflux isn't something worse in disguise. But, his symptoms did get much better for several months on the prevacid, so hopefully it really is just plain old reflux. The docs pretty much forced us to do the barium swallow back when he was just 3 months to rule out pyloric stenosis--all of that came back fine.
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote