Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #1
4boys4me
Registered Users

PLing question

Ok, my 3rd ds is PLing. He will pee on the potty but he is still pooping in his undies. I don't wear diapers on him at all anymore because it is easy to clean up but it is just getting aggravating, ya know. What can I do to make him understand? My oldest was trained at 4yr.s old (I have all boys) my second was trained when he turned 3 yr.s old and now this one is only 2 1/2!!! He just started going by himself,lol.. he stays dry all night long and at naps and he has not had one pee'ing accident yet! I am not forcing him to go at all so this is all new to me, really. I think he is to young to understand though but I guess he does if he is going, kwim? Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

*edited to add: he will poop in the potty if you catch him at the right time. but he still does not go all the way. He is holding it in. He goes a little bit all day long in his pants.. grrrrrr... but if I sit him on the potty he says he is done..

Advertisement

Last edited by 4boys4me; 06-12-2006 at 05:56 AM.
4boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
mommyofsweetones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLing question

Wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I am faced with a very similar problem with my 3 1/2 yr. old dd. She does great with pee during the day and is usually dry in the morning and ready to go on the potty, but still doesn't seem to recognize when she needs to poop and goes in her undies. I try to get her into the bathroom and onto the potty when I catch her in "the stance" that she takes when I can tell she's going, but she just tells me she doesn't have to go. I'll be watching this thread with open eyes! :babypoop:

Last edited by mommyofsweetones; 06-12-2006 at 06:29 AM.
mommyofsweetones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
DEmomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When they go in their undies do you still dump it into the potty and flush it? I started doing that with my son and it seemed to work. He understood that it was supposed to go there. I've also heard of using the cheerios in the potty not just for peeing on but for pooping on also.

DS went exclusively on the potty for 2 weeks at 2 and 1/2 yrs old (his choice). Then he stopped....almost like he had checked it off a "to do" list. At his 3rd birthday he decided he wanted to wear undies and hasn't looked back. I'm now a big believer in "when they decide they are ready it will happen... easily". After those 2 weeks I was so frustrated and it was making me crazy that he wouldn't use the potty. But, I finally gave up and let go of all of my anger/frustration about it and let him know that it was his choice completely. Everytime I brought it up I gave him a choice about it.

The day before his birthday I let him run around naked and told him he could choose to use the potty or the floor....he chose the potty. The next day he wore undies. He had an accident the first day (pee) and 2 the 2nd day (both pee also) and none since.

Good luck to both of you!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
4boys4me
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEmomof2
When they go in their undies do you still dump it into the potty and flush it? I started doing that with my son and it seemed to work. He understood that it was supposed to go there. I've also heard of using the cheerios in the potty not just for peeing on but for pooping on also.

DS went exclusively on the potty for 2 weeks at 2 and 1/2 yrs old (his choice). Then he stopped....almost like he had checked it off a "to do" list. At his 3rd birthday he decided he wanted to wear undies and hasn't looked back. I'm now a big believer in "when they decide they are ready it will happen... easily". After those 2 weeks I was so frustrated and it was making me crazy that he wouldn't use the potty. But, I finally gave up and let go of all of my anger/frustration about it and let him know that it was his choice completely. Everytime I brought it up I gave him a choice about it.

The day before his birthday I let him run around naked and told him he could choose to use the potty or the floor....he chose the potty. The next day he wore undies. He had an accident the first day (pee) and 2 the 2nd day (both pee also) and none since.

Good luck to both of you!!!
OMG! My 4yr. old did this! lol.. he went for a week pee and poo on the potty when he was 2 and then just stopped and did not look back until he was 3yr.s old and he just put big boys on one day and has not looked back,lol.. that is funny! But with my 2 1/2 yr. old it is different... he has been going on his own for over a month now.. He has had 1 big pee accident this whole time and it was really early in the morning and he didn't make it. I sooo have no pushed him at all to go. I do plop his poop in the potty and he goes with me and we say.. listen you have to hear it plop... so when he does sit on the potty he has to hear it plop before he gets up.. which he does every now and then.. most of the time we get small ones in his undies all day long.. I know that one day he will just "get it" and it will click for him but I wanted to know what I could do to encourage him getting it sooner, lol..
Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

From my experience with lots of children over the years, what you're describing sounds pretty normal. Unfortunately, I don't know that there is much you can do to speed things along other than what you're already doing. DJ's not quite 2 and pooped in the potty for the first time the other day and I swear I thought he was going to cry! He was so upset and I wish I understood why! He had told me he had to go to the potty so I took him, he peed, then he jumped up to run away. I told him to come back and get his clothes back on and he freaked out and said he wanted to sit on the potty some more. I figured he was just trying to stall because it was naptime but I sat him back down and gave him a book. For more than half an hour he sat there and every time I'd ask him if he was done, he'd freak out. Finally I decided enough was enough and went to help him get down and realized that he'd pooped. I praised him and told him good job and all that but he acted like he was upset. He's peed on the potty since then but that's all. A couple of times since then, he's said he wants to poop on the potty and will sit there for a minute but then all of a sudden he'll panic and want his diaper back on and he goes just as soon as he's back in the diaper. I don't get the anxiety but I figure he'll get through it somehow...I'm just trying to be encouraging and not push. Good luck...and if you do figure out the "big secret" make sure you share with the rest of us!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

david was like that
dont know why he wouldnt poop there. i did get the poop and flush it in his presence and told him it goes there etc etc.
it didnt click until uhmm maybe 2-3 wks (or was it a month). now he shouts to the word "caca" (poop in spanish) and we go to the potty.
it will take time. youll see. he still too young. my ds is now 3yrs and 3mo and he been dry alld ay and all night but will sometimes pee on himself if he doesnt make it to the potty (yep i still gotta remind him to go) so he uses his trainers still (PSST: i cant let go of them just yet )
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote