Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
norrahsmommy's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Over the Rainbow
Posts: 3,155
My Mood:
Re: Swagbucks and taxes

Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
You are talking about SALES tax. We are talking about INCOME tax. All US citizens have to pay federal income tax, and most citizens have to pay state income tax. Buying a gift card for yourself with your own money is not "income," but EARNING a gift card (like you do through swagbucks) IS income.

Just because you don't receive a 1099 does not mean you don't have to pay taxes on income. Again, consult a real tax attorney or accountant. I'm sitting in tax class right now and chatting on DS, so that tells you just how diligent a student I am.
I am talking about regular taxes too- I'm sure that their lawyers have found a loophole becasue if they were to pay one person for a certain amount of giftcards (or whatever you get on swagbucks)- they would HAVE to send a 1099 to those people, but they would also have to require a social security number for that paperwork, so there is some loophole that is in place to make it not a taxable income.


Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #12
Registered Users
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,878
My Mood:
Re: Swagbucks and taxes

That is inaccurate. I'm not going to go into it further because I'm not qualified to give legal advice. I'm just basing my statements on the tax code itself and the things that my tax law professor has said in class.

I will leave it at this: according to the tax code, you must pay taxes on all income from any source derived (with a few exceptions, and I am 99% sure there is no exception for Swagbucks). You have to pay taxes on income, regardless of whether or not you have a 1099 form for that income. If you do not pay income tax on income (including Swagbucks) you are guilty of tax evasion. Whether you want to do the "loophole" dance is up to you, but be aware that (to my knowledge) there is no LEGAL "loophole" that allows you to NOT claim your Swagbucks income on your taxes.

Again: I'm just a tax law student, not a licensed tax lawyer!
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Registered Users
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,656
Re: Swagbucks and taxes

Read this,00.html

It is a common misconception that if a taxpayer does not receive a Form 1099-MISC or if the income is under $600 per payer, the income is not taxable. There is no minimum amount that a taxpayer may exclude from gross income.

All income earned through the taxpayer’s business, as an independent contractor or from informal side jobs is self-employment income, which is fully taxable and must be reported on Form 1040.

Use Form 1040, Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, or Form 1040, Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit from Business (Sole Proprietorship) to report income and expenses. Taxpayers will also need to prepare Form 1040 Schedule SE for self-employment taxes if the net profit exceeds $400 for a year. Do not report this income on Form 1040 Line 21 as Other Income.

Independent contractors must report all income as taxable, even if it is less than $600. Even if the client does not issue a Form 1099-MISC, the income, whatever the amount, is still reportable by the taxpayer.

Fees received for babysitting, housecleaning and lawn cutting are all examples of taxable income, even if each client paid less than $600 for the year. Someone who repairs computers in his or her spare time needs to report all monies earned as self-employment income even if no one person paid more than $600 for repairs.


Prizes and awards

Subject to certain exceptions, the cash value of prizes or awards won in a drawing, quiz show program, beauty contest, or other event, must be included on the tax return as taxable income.

Taxpayers must also report the fair market value of merchandise or products won as a prize or award, as taxable income.

For example, both a $500 cash prize and the fair market value of a new range won in a baking contest must be reported as other income on Form 1040, Line 21.
SAHM to Alexa (04-20-09) and Valerie (08-12-11)
tcmt81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.