Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
konayossie's Avatar
konayossie
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 521
Re: irritated by nursing - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaross View Post
I feel like it's more of a physical thing than an emotion (meaning that the sensation doesn't go away even if I distract myself)....so probably hormones (whether PMS, pregnancy, or what).
My vote is hormones. I feel this way when AF is coming on. I know what you mean--it feels both emotional and physical to me. My nips are literally tender and sometimes painful, and I just DON"T want to nurse. I mean, I force myself to do it, but it's definitely A CHORE during those times. I haven't noticed a big diff at different times of the day, but I DEFINITELY can't sleep with him nursing during those times. Mine only lasts 2 days or so.

I have read it can happen when you ovulate too (or when you're pg).

I think there is also some kind of disorder that can also cause this feeling, along with much more severe feelings of revulsion and nausea. But if yours just started and is relatively minor, it's probably just hormones.

Advertisement

konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
My Mood:
Re: irritated by nursing - question

I'll put my vote behind hormones! I always (despite doing everything "right") got my cycle back at about 4 months, and for the week or so before AF I'd get those feelings. Just like any other PMS thing, it would vary from month to month, but some months were horrible! This month has been bad for me because DD has been sick and is nursing way more that usual, right at the worst time of the month for me. So I feel especially guilty since I know she's really wanting the comfort.
__________________
Dawn SAHM to soccer star AJ 2/6/02, my leprachaun Jack 3/17/05, and my birthday buddy Lilly 9/2/08
I've earned over $700 with SwagBucks!
I'm now selling Thirty-One!
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
foxynursejo's Avatar
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,180
My Mood:
Re: irritated by nursing - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by konayossie View Post
My vote is hormones. I feel this way when AF is coming on. I know what you mean--it feels both emotional and physical to me. My nips are literally tender and sometimes painful, and I just DON"T want to nurse. I mean, I force myself to do it, but it's definitely A CHORE during those times. I haven't noticed a big diff at different times of the day, but I DEFINITELY can't sleep with him nursing during those times. Mine only lasts 2 days or so.

I have read it can happen when you ovulate too (or when you're pg).

I think there is also some kind of disorder that can also cause this feeling, along with much more severe feelings of revulsion and nausea. But if yours just started and is relatively minor, it's probably just hormones.
I met a mama once with this:

http://d-mer.org/Home_Page.html

Maybe look into it?
__________________
Jolene, RN, - Proud mommy to Dylan 09-27-05. Twins Bryce and Kaia born 12-02-09.

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #14
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 999
Re: irritated by nursing - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawndelion View Post
I always (despite doing everything "right") got my cycle back at about 4 months, and for the week or so before AF I'd get those feelings. Just like any other PMS thing, it would vary from month to month, but some months were horrible!
Consider yourself fortunate. I can nurse two almost around the clock and still start about a week after the postpartum bleeding ceases! ...and I heard all my life that nursing gave you a break for months... Bah-humbug!

Your experiences line up pretty well w/ mine other than that though so I'd kind of lean toward something hormonal. Weariness may indeed make the effect more pronounced and perhaps that's why some months are worse than others. Interesting thought.

The only other situation that I've heard of is some folks say that their own attitudes toward nursing have had a physical effect, but that doesn't sound like the OP's situation.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,790
Re: irritated by nursing - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaNilsson View Post
Consider yourself fortunate. I can nurse two almost around the clock and still start about a week after the postpartum bleeding ceases! ...and I heard all my life that nursing gave you a break for months... Bah-humbug!

Your experiences line up pretty well w/ mine other than that though so I'd kind of lean toward something hormonal. Weariness may indeed make the effect more pronounced and perhaps that's why some months are worse than others. Interesting thought.

The only other situation that I've heard of is some folks say that their own attitudes toward nursing have had a physical effect, but that doesn't sound like the OP's situation.
I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world who started cycling again immediately after pp bleeding stopped. My cycle returned at 6 weeks pp with my 2nd and I was tandem nursing and neither girl ever took a bottle or pacifier. I'm just glad I never counted on breastfeeding to be a reliable form of birth control
Greenbabybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
MammaNilsson
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 999
Re: irritated by nursing - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world who started cycling again immediately after pp bleeding stopped. My cycle returned at 6 weeks pp with my 2nd and I was tandem nursing and neither girl ever took a bottle or pacifier. I'm just glad I never counted on breastfeeding to be a reliable form of birth control
No kidding on the BC! Lactation just has no such effect on us!

W/ my first child, when I started cycling, I thought I had overdone something and restarted the pp bleeding, but it didn't stop. I didn't believe my midwife when she told me I had started cycling! My mother blamed ME for not nursing enough!

When I was tandem nursing two and NEVER had a chance to go more than maybe 2 hours w/o nursing SOMEBODY (and like you, neither baby ever took a bottle or paci) and the same thing happened...uh, it was quite obviously not related to not nursing enough!!

In all fairness to my mother though, my first child absolutely would not wake up to nurse for 10-12 hours every night by the time she was 6 weeks old and my mother hadn't ever heard of that happening on it's own so it wasn't that she had no reason to be suspicious.
MammaNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
konayossie's Avatar
konayossie
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 521
Re: irritated by nursing - question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbabybottoms View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world who started cycling again immediately after pp bleeding stopped. My cycle returned at 6 weeks pp with my 2nd and I was tandem nursing and neither girl ever took a bottle or pacifier.l
I had this too--quit postpartum bleeding at 2 weeks and then had AF at 5-6 weeks. I couldn't get fitted at my 6 week appt for a diaphragm b/c of it. I am still pretty bitter about getting it back so soon despite freaking CONSTANT nursing for the first 4 months due to reflux.
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
vmomma's Avatar
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 5,477
My Mood:
Re: irritated by nursing - question

I got mine back at like 7 weeks pp too...how unlucky are we!
__________________
MELISSA, PT Baby RN/Wanna be WAHM Married to Ryan MOMMY TO 25 weeker, VIOLET RAINE 4-13-09,and Juliet Coral 5-15-12
vmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
angelnalex's Avatar
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,524
My Mood:
Re: irritated by nursing - question

wow mama's with dd I got mine back at 13 months pp with ds he turned 14 months 4 days after I got mine back. My mom said it was strange since she nursed all of her kids and got hers back in 4 to 6 months.
__________________
co-sleeping, non-vaxing, ERF, nursing, CD, single mama to ds 3 and dd 9
angelnalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #20
carlaross's Avatar
carlaross
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 3,976
Re: irritated by nursing - question

I'd actually love to get mine back.
Long story, but DH had surgery last year so we could TTC. We got preggo right away.
But there is a possibility of scarring as time goes by. So, the sooner I get AF back the sooner we can TTC again - hopefully before any scarring occurs.
__________________
Carla ~ paramedic
wife to Chris
mama to 3 boys ages 19, 18, and 4
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.