Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Umbilical cord cutting vs burning??

Anyone burn their cord? I know one of the advantages is less chance of tetanus (that's why they burn the cords in places that don't have sterile equipment). Any other? Or is it just more *crunchy*? I want to do that this time, but not 100% sold on it. This is 3rd homebirth and my MW is fine with whatever. She burned her own baby's cord with her birth last year.
For the record, my position is we won't mess with the cord for the 1st 2 hrs or so.....I am all for lotus birth, but DH and the baby's 4 teen sibs are not, so it's not something I feel strongly enough about to mess with.
Opinions? Comments? TIA!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
heidi_m
Registered Users
seller

Re: Umbilical cord cutting vs burning??

The whole thing with tetanus is a bit of a scare tactic, IMO - particularly in developed countries. Tetanus is an anaerobic bacterium that cannot survive in the presence of oxygen, and it's not something that just sits around on things like scissors. It's prevalent in soils where there has been livestock - the 'rusty nail' is typically a tetanus risk because it's been submerged in soil where livestock does or did live, and the bacterium lives under the layers of rust and thusly not in oxygenated air.

SO... lol - my point I guess is just burn the cord if you want to but don't worry about your LO getting a tetanus infection however you take care of it!
heidi_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi_m View Post
The whole thing with tetanus is a bit of a scare tactic, IMO - particularly in developed countries. Tetanus is an anaerobic bacterium that cannot survive in the presence of oxygen, and it's not something that just sits around on things like scissors. It's prevalent in soils where there has been livestock - the 'rusty nail' is typically a tetanus risk because it's been submerged in soil where livestock does or did live, and the bacterium lives under the layers of rust and thusly not in oxygenated air.

SO... lol - my point I guess is just burn the cord if you want to but don't worry about your LO getting a tetanus infection however you take care of it!
thanks! I wasn't really worried about tet, esp here in the US, but wanted to put that out there as one of the *reasons* some people choose to do it.
For myself, I am just wondering different people's opinions and thoughts, so thanks mama for answering the thread
Old 04-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Jessi621
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd actually never heard of burning the cord til you mentioned it in another thread a little bit ago. What do you do it with? How's it different from cutting as far as after care? I'm having a hospital birth, so ours will be cut reguardless. I'm just curious about burning.
Proud Army wife and sahm to The Chickie 2/26/05, The Monkey 6/13/08 and The Little Miss 8/15/10 Due in Aug with #4
Jessi621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
angelarose
Registered Users

My Mood:

I cut the cord several hours (10 or so) after the baby was born, I didn't clamp it or anything. It shriveled up and fell off less than 2 days later. I think by not clamping it, it allows it to dry up faster, and there was no blood in it whatsoever by the time we cut the cord, it was just white.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
RochelleS
Registered Users
Formerly: shae
seller

My Mood:

Of course, the first thing my pregnant brain thinks is "Oh, I bet burning it would smell awful!" Hahah. I'm with others, though. I'm not clear on the benefits of burning vs. cutting if tetanus isn't a concern?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
adriannemae
Registered Users
seller

http://novamidwife.org/gallery/cord-burning-pix/
from the looks of the candles it appears to be a bit time consuming.

Use code "DSMAMA1" for 5% off your first order.
adriannemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
bkklingerman
Registered Users
seller

Looking into this myself. It looks as if there are a few added health benefits. Lower chances of jaundice and what not. I am having baby #4 and my second homebirth. I know my midwife has a burning box and I am going to give it a whirl. Baby isn't due until January but I will let you know how our experience goes.
bkklingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Jatango
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Silly question: Why not just heat a pair of scissors to glowing and cauterize that way? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

Jatango is offline   Reply With Quote