Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
nicole999
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Reflux?

How do you know if your LO has reflux vs. just "normal" spitting up?

Advertisement

Wife and best friend to loving DH , and mama to DS #1(4yrs) and expecting DS#2 (19/9/14
nicole999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
konayossie
Registered Users

Re: Reflux?

With my son, he cried all the time unless he was nursing. He nursed all the time (like, I'd say 75% of his awake time). My DS couldn't sleep b/c of the pain he was in, so that was also one of his symptoms. He had the hiccups all the time; I'd say every day, usually several times a day, until he was 5 mos old. Arching during and after feedings (from pain). "Crawling" up your belly when the LO is trying to sleep (this was while laying with him on my stomach).

Another symptom can be poor weight gain.

Almost all babies have "reflux"--that's why they spit up. Their sphincters just aren't well developed yet. However, if they have so much that it's causing them lots of pain or doing damage to their esophagus, or keeping them from gaining weight it needs to be treated.

Take a look at Dr. Sears' website. He has several articles on reflux or GERD. I found it very helpful so that I knew how to describe my son's symptoms to the ped.
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has it and so did my older one. I can tell he is in pain. He pulls his legs up and squirms like he is uncomfortable. He is more fussy after a feeding, not less. And, he does want to nurse constantly.

All babies spit up. My oldest spit up a ton, but didn't have reflux. One of my middle son's didn't spit up much, but had reflux that caused apnea and required him to be on an apnea monitor at home for a while. One of my two new guys has it and he spits up much more than my other children. I'm about to do some research on how much weight gain is normal and watch it at home because I've never seen a baby spit up as much as he does. So, it can vary. You can't go by how much they spit up. You have to look at the other symptoms. Pain, fussiness and weight gain are big ones.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
brittains98
Registered Users

My Mood:

my mid had reflux my lo now swpits all the time no reflux
brittains98 is offline   Reply With Quote