Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
earthbabydiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quinoa recipes

I just bought some quinoa and would like some good recipe ideas. Vegetarian or easily converted please
TIA!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Quinoa recipes

Trying this tonight!
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...oa-recipe.html

Or just use it like rice or couscous in normal recipes.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
stugroupie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quinoa Lentil Salas

1 c. quinoa
1 c. lentils
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 c. parsley chopped
2 lemons juiced, one zested
3 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
2 oz. feta cheese (optional)

Cook the quinoa and lentils according to package instructions, being careful not to overcook either. Set aside and allow to cool slightly before mixing with other ingredients. In the meantime, dice cucumber and red onion & put in large bowl. Chop parsley or other herbs and add to vegetables. Zest one lemon before juicing and add to vegetables, then juice both lemons into a smaller bowl. Add vinegar and salt to lemon juice and whisk until combined, then slowly add olive oil until emulsified. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined and serve with feta cheese on top if desired.

This si from the Holistic Moms Network Cookbook. Super yummy on a hot summer day! Enjoy!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to just sautee carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms (what ever veggies I have on hand) toast the quinoa at the end of the sautee and add veg stock instead of water. Super yummy. Also good with asiago or parmesean cheese on top
Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
kotzally
Registered Users
seller

When you toast the quinoa, how long do you cook it in the veggie broth? Sounds so good!
Mom to an ornery one born 12/16/04, my second cutie born 1/23/07. And beautiful boy #3 born 6/22/09 Expecting a GIRL Sept 1st!!!
kotzally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

My favorite:
Cook quinoa according to directions in one pot. In another, put in a can (undrained) of diced tomatoes and add some white wine until it smells like you think you're going to like it. (Or, don't add any white wine, and use 1/2 or more teaspoon of curry powder.) Add a can (drained and rinsed) of chickpeas. Simmer until the liquid disappears and you've reached a saucey consistency. Add a package of baby spinach, cover, and let wilt. Mix together and remove from heat. Spoon cooked quinoa into bowls or onto plates and spoon tomato mixture over it. Sometimes I like to put plain nonfat greek yogurt on the side - it's unnecessary b/c of all the great protein in the quinoa and in the chickpeas, but it tastes really good especially with the curry version.
I am an apprentice midwife, and occasionally a birth will keep me away from my computer and the post office. Please be patient with me if it takes me a bit longer than expected to either reply to you or ship your package - and think happy thoughts for the new family! Thanks!
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Tmuffin
Registered Users
seller

I just posted a recipe on my blog and made this yesterday! I have tons of leftovers and ate it over lettuce for lunch. Lemon Quinoa Salad with Arugula, Scallions and Dill Yum!
Tmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugroupie View Post
Quinoa Lentil Salas

1 c. quinoa
1 c. lentils
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 c. parsley chopped
2 lemons juiced, one zested
3 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
2 oz. feta cheese (optional)

Cook the quinoa and lentils according to package instructions, being careful not to overcook either. Set aside and allow to cool slightly before mixing with other ingredients. In the meantime, dice cucumber and red onion & put in large bowl. Chop parsley or other herbs and add to vegetables. Zest one lemon before juicing and add to vegetables, then juice both lemons into a smaller bowl. Add vinegar and salt to lemon juice and whisk until combined, then slowly add olive oil until emulsified. Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined and serve with feta cheese on top if desired.

This si from the Holistic Moms Network Cookbook. Super yummy on a hot summer day! Enjoy!

oh my dear goodness, this will be dinner tomorrow night! I just need the feta and a cuke. That sounds SO amazing!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
EmilyLTD
Registered Users
seller

I like this recipe. Warning...it makes A LOT. I always cut it down. Tomatoes are a good addition too.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-...ns/Detail.aspx
Old 05-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
earthbabydiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyLTD View Post
I like this recipe. Warning...it makes A LOT. I always cut it down. Tomatoes are a good addition too.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-...ns/Detail.aspx
That sounds yummy! I just made these cookies and they are really good:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=26826.0