Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
LBarnidge
Registered Users

Potty Training and Constipation

My son is three and is completely potty trained when it comes to peeing. He can even stay dry over night. But because he does not have regular BMs I don't know how to teach him to have a BM on the toilet. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisement

LBarnidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
turtledance
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Potty Training and Constipation

We have been going through this too. My DS started wearing underwear about 3-4 weeks ago and immediately did great with peeing in the potty. He wouldn't poop in it though and he didn't want to poop in his underwear. He went 3 days without pooping and on the morning of the fourth day, he woke up throwing up, and we figured out pretty quickly that it was because he was constipated. He has always had problems with constipation and needs miralax daily. We gave him some and put him in a pullup and tried to not make any issue of it. He finally pooped, and we realized to stop telling him to not poop in his underwear. He kept pooping in his underwear and it was very frustrating, but better than being constipated. We kept talking to him about pooping on the potty and encouraging him to, but he just wouldn't! I finally decided to try bribing in this situation. He loves Cars, so we told him that if he pooped in the potty, he would go to town and get a new car. He kept talking about getting a new car for several days, while still pooping in his pants. Finally 2 days ago, he obviously had to poop and he kept freaking out when I put him on the potty and and he wouldn't go in a pull up or his underwear. Finally I just put him on the potty and told him to hug me really tight and he finally went! We immediately went out and got a car and since then, he has done it several more times. I think he finally made the connection. I am so relieved and he is too, I am sure! I hope that you are able to figure something out too. I understand how frustrating it is!

Momma to my crazy little Snuggle Muttin (6-8-07)
and my sweet Cuddle Bug (2-13-10)
turtledance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Potty Training and Constipation

We went through this too. My DD would hold it for days, cry about it because it hurt so bad, and then explode in her underwear. All the coaxing and pleading in the world didn't work. Getting desperate, I did threaten with suppositories a couple times, just because it had to come out!! I finally bribed her with a doll stroller if she pooped in the toilet. If she had another accident in her pants, it went into "timeout" until she pooped again in the toilet. She finally got over whatever hangup she had about pooping in the toilet and we've never had a problem since!
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote