Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Furious at hospital/dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary_jane View Post
UGH! That is awful- really, really awful. Very sorry to hear that. I would never go back to the pediatrician.

When our DS was born, we did not leave him out of our sight once (between DH, myself and the various grandparents), b/c we knew that if we did not monitor everything they did to our son, they would not be following our instructions. Our Dr may not agree with all of our choices, but he respects that we are the people responsible for making those decisions for our children, and as such, he does not oppose us- but the nurses, that's another story! Many of them will do anything it seems to force the protocol, even against Dr or patient's wishes.

We had to make an emergency trip to our clinic yesterday after my DS's little hand was smashed in a door by an older child at MOPS. We had to see a pediatrician (dr on call) instead of our Dr since we needed an immediate appointment. After she had finished treating his hand, she said we should use this opportunity to "catch up the vaccines he had missed". I was shocked that she would suggest that after a 2 yr old had just spend the morning screaming himself to the point of exhaustion (first time in his life) from his injury that she would be so bent on those vaccines that she wanted to give them right then and there. It seemed odd. As if his immune system is going to be working par with that kind of stress! And he's only missing one series (MMR) at this point.
Yeah, I can't believe they'd suggest giving him vaccinations after all he'd already been through! No way!

I talked to DH when he got home last night and the only thing I asked (I didn't want to suggest anything... I wanted to see what he remembered) was what papers we signed before they took DD for her tests, etc. and if he remembered anything regarding the vaccines. He said that the only papers we signed were for them to take her hospital pictures and that was it. He also said that we refused the shot they give in the hospital and they didn't give it to her. I showed him the paperwork and he was furious, also. The thing is... I got a 2nd envelope that I hadn't even looked at (I'd thought it was for DH at the time) from the clinic. It had papers where we had to sign for each vaccine DD got. It is my fault for not remembering that we do actually have to sign for vaccines and for not paying too much attention to what vaccines they were giving her when . Completely my fault and I know better now. But where it's written for the Hep B in the hospital there is NO signature! There's also no signatures for DS's paperwork, which I don't understand. We also looked through the typed up records and it shows that DD got the Tdap twice on day and the HepB twice on one day, but when you look at the written papers it shows the correct days . I love that they have their records messed up! I'm definitely going to be making some phone calls and asking some questions. I didn't even have to say anything to DH before he said, " 'Bean' will not be let out of my sight for even a minute. We are not having this happen again!"

As far as the hearing test... do your babies have to do them? DD had failed hers in the hospital and they were very insistent that we make a follow-up test, which we never did. I thought about refusing it for this baby. What do you think? TIA mamas!

Advertisement

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Mom2lucy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We signed a no Hep B form too. and as we left the hosp. we got her vacc record and it showed they had given her one. which we KNOW they had NOT give her any shots. DD NEVER left our side and was NEVER without one of us. We asked the nurse about it and she said she just wrote it down assuming we did it, even though DD did NOT get it. They then gave us a new and corrected vaccination record. Maybe this happened?????
Mom2lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipervt View Post
wow in the state I live the parent has to sign the child's chart to authorize the vaccine & is given an info sheet on the vac before it can be given.
Same here. I have to put my initials next to each individual vaccine at the ped's office before they give anything.

I would definitely be making some complaints if I were you. Performing medical procedures on a minor without the parents' approval is a bad, bad thing.