Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

Re: do you let your teen girl wear a bikini in public?

I would not. I want my daughter to learn to find value in herself as more than....more than what our culture screams at us about the "perfect body" and what women ought to look like. I don't want her to feel like it's normal to show off that much of her body. I want her body to be valuable, something precious and beautiful, not a sex object for guys to oogle at or other girls to criticize.

Now, I won't keep her in some old-fashioned looking thing either...I have a tankini and there are various options for swimwear that show less skin.

JMHO. And I don't wear a bikini in public, either, so the principle would go for both of us!

Advertisement

Last edited by swedishmaiden; 05-14-2010 at 09:53 PM.
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dds are 8 and 5. i only buy them 2 pieces (usually tankini-style) as i think they are easier to get into the bathroom and take off and stuff. when they are teens or tweens i will still let them as long as they are trashy or too revealing.
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmaiden View Post
I would not. I want my daughter to learn to find value in herself as more than....more than what our culture screams at us about the "perfect body" and what women ought to look like. I don't want her to feel like it's normal to show off that much of her body. I want her body to be valuable, something precious and beautiful, not a sex object for guys to oogle at or other girls to criticize.

Now, I won't keep her in some old-fashioned looking thing either...I have a tankini and there are various options for swimwear that show less skin.

JMHO. And I don't wear a bikini in public, either, so the principle would go for both of us!
I totally agree, but I'm getting some strong opposition at home. Arguments for it include: I need to fit in with social norms (or I'd be an outcast), don't you trust me, it's a different culture now and no one cares if you are half naked, etc..............
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is only 3 and I refuse to put a bikini on her. She has 2 tankinis that she has only worn 1 time each. I prefer rash guards and board shorts or a 1 pc for her.

I dont wear a bikini anymore. Especially in public. i wasnt allowed to wear a bikini until I was 16, dispite my fathers disapproval, because it was my fathers belief that a girl/womans body should not be shown off like that.

IMHO it is not appropriate for a child (16 is still a child) and is no different than her wearing her bra and panties out in public. And no, I dont let DD wear just her panties under a dress in public. The few times that DD has worn her panties out under a dress, she still had a diaper cover (one that goes with dresses) or bike shorts on under.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD isn't old enough to wear a bikini and we both perfer for her to wear a one piece only because it's less sunscreen you have to apply and she still plays rough in the pool and doesn't want to lose a piece while swimming. But yes, I would let her if it was appropriate and she was comfortable in it, but def not a string bikini.
I am now blessed to be a SAHM to my 3 LOs R (1/1/99), E (4/7/02) and L (4/8/09) and very lucky to be with the love of my life where not only is he the father to my children but my best friend and hero. I follow a celtic pagan tradition and I'm becoming crunchier by the day. I enjoy knitting, sewing and making things with my hands.
Mommyplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

can we define "PUBLIC" are we talking at a swimming event or just wandering around in a suit? I ask due to the STRONG dislike of showing skin on the board..... No flaming Just wondering? I did Post this earlier in the conversation BUT I was refering to a Pool, Ocean, lake whatever the Water even was NOT just for wearing willy nilly

"QUOTE 14 yr old GIRL in the house and Yes she wears bikinis... She Choses to be a Bit modest and wears Boycut bottoms and the Longer Tank-ini type Tops where its Fitted and cut to the breast with wires and all that jazz but extra fabric to cover the tummy....
I would NOT let her wear a String bikini, I would be terrified if her breasts Popped out during a Jump in the pool also NO Thong seriously there is just no point there unless your TRYING to show off your goods you can get a GREAT tan in a regular suit When she is Older 18+ that will be her choice but until then I say standard bikini is just fine..... "QUOTE
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespepper View Post
I totally agree, but I'm getting some strong opposition at home. Arguments for it include: I need to fit in with social norms (or I'd be an outcast), don't you trust me, it's a different culture now and no one cares if you are half naked, etc..............
I have to say, I remember my parents being pretty strict when we were kids, and i felt like the outsider a lot! It is embarrassing when you're the only one who can't do something, for what seems like a silly reason. I get where they were coming from now, but then again, I've decided that I will let my teenagers wear what they want to wear (within reason). I personally do wear bikinis (ok, well, not anymore in my thirties and post 2 babies, but I hope to wear one again eventually!) and I don't have a problem with them. For me it would just depend on how the whole thing looked on and the age and body of the girl. Girls who are modest anyway would not feel comfortable wearing something very skimpy, but if they're confident in their body and their attitude, and they aren't purposely trying to get attention, why not.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm torn at the moment. My daughter will be 10 this summer and is getting curves (she's very thin, but has grown hips in the last 6mos). I am not okay with her wearing 2-piece swimsuits at this time, because I feel they make her look closer to a teenager. I may relax in a few years, but for now, no.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
CrazedChris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. I don't have a teen yet, but my 6 yo dd doesn't wear one either. She wears a swim shirt and board shorts. We have taught modesty since she was able to walk. My boys, 16 and 9, also don't go in public shirtless. Naked is naked, no matter what sex you are.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #20
smokeyswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At home, and with other girl friends, bikinis are fine, if that is what they want. At the lake, or anywhere else in "public"...or where they can be seen by strangers.....I request a rash guard top be worn on the top. Tankinis are fine with me as well. I personally just don't want any men/older boys checking my daughters out.
smokeyswife is offline   Reply With Quote