Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Re: Lets talk Baby Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
Kaia actually is greek and means "pure", Kai means ocean/sea in Hawaiian and Japanese. My friend used the name Kai for her DS and I love it, Kaia is pretty too!

Maverick is one of those interesting sleeper names, that is way more popular then you would ever imagine (511 last year), but you still rarely ever hear it on many kids, which is cool. But I have to say thanks to meeting two girls with the name I think of Rebel as a girls name.

But saying that it's so funny how knowing some one with a name can change its meaning a lot. My sister is Hillary and as much as I hate to admit I do like the name My sister is anything but Cheerful. There are a lot of good names ruined by people with them and I so love a few names I can't have like Leah because I know too many great people with the name right now.

Depends on where you look
http://names.newkerala.com/baby-name/2632/kaia

Advertisement

Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kason's mommy View Post
My point excactly depends on were you read I also found out it was the name of a dwarf in Willow, who knew! At least all the meanings are positive!
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairycat View Post
My point excactly depends on were you read I also found out it was the name of a dwarf in Willow, who knew! At least all the meanings are positive!
Is it really?? That is neat. Either way it is an awesome name if i do say so myself.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

For me personally the name speaks to me more then the meaning. My DH on the other hand looks at the meaning first.

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #25
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We wanted to name our son Calvin as my husband was a HUGE Calvin and Hobbes fan and it's a nice strong name. I just couldn't get over the meaning of the name: bald. Especially as DH has thinning hair - I thought I'd be condemning him to a life of little hair! DS is just like Calvin in the comics though - full of energy and imagination and trouble!

We did name DS Hayden William. Hayden means valley of hay (no real significance except that DH and I both come from the country). His middle name is my DH's great grampa's name.

My daughter is Felicity Rose. Felicity means happiness and she sure does live up to it! Rose is my mother and grandmother's name.
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #26
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and Addison was also a top choice for DS. It means son of Adam - which is perfect as that is my DH's name. But stupid Grey's Anatomy came out with a girl named Addison and suddenly it was vogue to name your DD "son of Adam." Couldn't condemn DS to be one of 7 Addison's in a class - but the only boy with the name!
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #27
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I really liked Aubrey until I looked up the meaning too. Right now we like Isaac for a boy or Anna or Rachel for a girl...girls names are sooooo hard for me!

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Levi I chose for a few reasons:
1. I have a 'long' name and HATED writing it 5 million times on every school paper, so wanted my kid to have a short one thats easy to write.
2. You dont hear it often, but its not so weird that no one knows how to pronounce or spell it.
3. It starts with an 'L' (my name is Leigh-Ann)

We didnt choose his name until we saw him though, I had a list of like 20 names that I had added/subtracted from a bunch of times.

His middle name, I chose for 2 things, one being my favorite place in London, where I lived for a couple years, and two for a t.v. show I watched a lot while pregnant that is all about family which is very important to me.

We ended up spelling his middle name with a 'K' instead of a 'C' b/c his dad's name is Kevin, BUT we are *almost* divorced and I have not heard from him sense ds was 15months old, so when I change ds's last name, Im going to change it to a C b/c I like that better anyway. Plus that will make his initials LCD instead of LKD, which I like better!

He was also given my maiden name as his 'second' middle name, b/c my middle name is my mom's maiden name. Kinda makes things easier now b/c when his name is changed its just a matter of dropping off his dad's last name!

His dad wanted his middle name to be 'Kason', but then made a joke about 'casing the joint' or something, so it really put me off that. The other name I liked was 'Presley', I cant rmember the others!

We didnt find out he was a boy until he was born, if he was a girl he would have been Braylen Kelly +my maiden name, last name. I chose Braylyn in middle school, and Kelly was a combo of Kevin and Leigh-Ann. So Im glad he wasnt a girl! Too many 'y's, too hard to change the middle name and just not something I like at all now.

IF I ever have more kids (not going to happen any time soon, as Im a single mommy), I like 'Mave' for a girl. No clue for a boy though.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #29
hurricanechelsea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Oh and Addison was also a top choice for DS. It means son of Adam - which is perfect as that is my DH's name. But stupid Grey's Anatomy came out with a girl named Addison and suddenly it was vogue to name your DD "son of Adam." Couldn't condemn DS to be one of 7 Addison's in a class - but the only boy with the name!
...someone who actually knows the meaning! I didn't know they existed

Though to be fair, most of those girls are probably spelled something like Addddecsssyinnnnezxyq so absolutely all meaning has been obliterated.

I'm intrigued by baby names. I really and truly hate bad ones, and ones that are trendy-- people say that it's a "unique" name just because they didn't hear it in people their own age, meanwhile, it's in the top 10 or so in popularity...

My baby is named Nicolai, (KNEE-co-lie, not Nickel-eye, for the record haha) which is a form of Nicholas. Its meaning has something to do with victory. The exact meaning varies depending on where you look. We chose the name and then checked the meaning. It was the only boys' name we could agree on, because we love the nickname Nico. Also, I have tons of very dear friends and "family" (my host family and the exchange student my family hosted) in various foreign countries, and Nicolai is very easily pronounced in a LOT of foreign languages (it seems to be difficult for Americans though hahahaha, whoops. Even though the pronunciation is super-simple). That was important to me, to have a name that all of my "important people" could pronounce.

It's also a name that a little boy can have and it's cute, and an adult can have and be taken seriously, and not be too strange in adolescence

My favorite baby name sites are http://legitbabenames.wordpress.com and http://www.babynamewizard.com
atheist/skeptic, on-schedule vaccinating , anti-alternative-"medicine" , breastfeeding-but-not-lactivist, hospital-waterbirth-with-an-OB-ing, formerly-cloth-diapering, conspiracy-theory-hating , letter-G-usinG mom to a bilingual () boy, born 3/21/10-- if you're similar (fully vaccinating a must) and in Maine, PM me!
hurricanechelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #30
heythere:)
Registered Users

babynamegenie is awesome! Thanks for the rec!!!!!!!!!
heythere:) is offline   Reply With Quote