Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: A no-carry baby?

DS has always hated being carried. I tried and tried, but it was futile. He will sometimes tolerate it now, but not for more than 10 minutes. Then he starts straining, pushing, crying, etc.

I have a bad back, and he was a heaaavy baby, so for me it wasn't a huge loss. I find carriers to be more troublesome than strollers, just because I couldn't get a carrier on by myself, but I can pull out a stroller and expand it myself.

Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter is another kid who just doesn't like being held. As an infant she never liked being cradled. She always wanted to be held upright so she could look over our shoulders - even before she had good head control! She was happiest if I let her lay on the floor or couch and I sat next to her.

Now at 2 years old, I get some reluctant kisses and the very occassional hug. She is very loving and thinks my DH and I are sooo much fun, but she just doesn't show it with physical affection. She wants to be by me, wants to show me things, loves it when I sing to her, wants to do what I'm doing, etc.

Sometimes I wish that I could get a snuggle from my DD. Most of the time, I am so happy with her being exactly how she is. She is so fiercely independent and I know that trait will serve her well through out life. Plus she cracks me up with her need for personal space.

Just check out this picture of my DD's best friend trying to give her a hug:

Yeah, that's my daughter totally cringing and trying to get out of the hug.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
pcjs
Registered Users

My son is very content in his stroller - I can't wear him - I've tried with my body type, he's just too heavy... my husband can and he's just as happy either way - well, as long as he finds someone new every so often to flirt with and somehow he always does when we are out.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Jamie, I love that picture! you had a good thought too in saying that kids show their love in many ways. My older is like yours. She wants to talk, show things, sing or read together and those are her versions of a hug. She does need attention and love, just in a different way.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

My ODS screamed from the second I put him in a wrap/sling/carrier until I took him out! My YDS does sometimes too, but he's okay as long as he faces out or on my back. He HATES to face me.