Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Registered Users
My son just turned 3 and turned into a terror!

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice. My son turned 3 yesterday. About 2 weeks ago, he began acting naughtier. He whines about everything and throws little tantrums all day long. We give him several time-outs a day. He hits us and everyone/everything else. He STILL drops food from his tray to the floor during mealtimes. I feel like we've done a pretty good job of discipline in the past--we don't let him get away with things. Now my husband wants to start spanking him, but I'm not so sure about that. Please give me some tips on how to discipline him! Is this a normal phase that he will grow out of? HELP!! Thanks...

*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: My son just turned 3 and turned into a terror!

I'm not really a big fan fan of timeouts or spanking. I'll suggest the following. Not sure if it will work but wortyh a try. When your DS has a tantrum use that as a opportunity to reconnect. Give attention but do not dwell. For eg if he he hits you hold his hand say mama gets hurt when you hit. Please dont do that. Give him and cuddle and let go. if he drops food on the floor say now you cant eat the food and the floor is dirt. Can you please help mommy clean up? Most likely they will not listen at the first attempt. But be consistent and dont shout, be polite but firm. Also when they do little naughty things and you tell them dont do something, 99% of the time they will not listen since they are trying to assert their own independence at that age. In such a situation you can try something like making them laugh. eg if your LO does something naughty and runs away chasing them around the room saying I got you and try to tickle him. He may be more likely to listen after a few giggles.
Also golden rule make sure they are not hungry, overtired, or overstimulated- those are the normal usual triggers for a tantrum. If you sense they are hungry offer a snack, overtired-put down for a nap and if overstimulated take your DS to a quiet place maybe another room.
vinimom is offline   Reply With Quote