Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me help my daughter

DD is 17 months old with a HUGE vocabulary. But there of course are some things she can't tell me she wants. She has gotten to the point where when she wants something she just starts whining and pointing or pitching a fit. I ask her what she wants like "Do you want to get up on mommy's bed?" and she starts laughing so I know that is a yes, she will shake her head if the answer is no. We sign so I will ask her to sign yes if I know the answer is yes and she usually will but only with my prompting. I am also trying to give her the words to use since she doesn't know how to ask for something. I don't know what else I can do..the whining is driving me up a wall! This is a relatively new thing and it seems like it's just her reaction to get what she wants. She wasnt this way a week ago. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
iggyloo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me help my daughter

17 months is when we had to add alot more signs to save our sanity.
Momma to Lily Grace Ryan 10/22/07 and Avaya Kai 10/30/10 Expecting #3 11/5/2014
iggyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's the age. Our 18-mo-old DD doesn't have a huge vocabulary yet, but she does use signs and has a decent vocabulary. The whining thing has just started really bad in this last month. We also have to prompt her more to 'use her words' or 'manners'. I remember DS being like this for a few months and he eventually stopped being so bad. With both DS and DD we'd ignore them a little if they whined really bad and then talk really quiet to them. For both of them they seem to quiet down to hear what we're saying.

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, 16-17 months was really bad for us too. DS would point at something and grunt or yell. I think it's just a phase, because now he can say ya or shake his head and communication seems a lot easier.

I would say either add some more signs or just keep asking her questions so she can answer you yes or no. It will pass soon....stuff happens so quickly at this age.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awesome..glad to hear it's just a phase. There is a Signing Time coop going on right now and I just added 6 more movies lol
Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Keep telling her what the appropriate response is. Talking is one skill, talking while frustrated seems a completely different skill for most kids. Just remain calm and patient. You will be reminding her to use her words or signs for the next several years.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Hcm1940
Registered Users

Honey, the whining doesn't go away!! Lol! My dd is 30 mo and speaks very well, but when she gets overwhelmed by emotion whining and fits happen. I tell her, "please show me" or "please use words so I can help you", and that helps her to slow down and talk instead of whine/cry. Good luck to you!
Hcm1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
Austinsmamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Charlotte wasn't/isn't a whiner at all (thank goodness since DS is ) but what has helped her communicate is I say what everything is in a single word no sentences to confuse her So as she was learning to tell us she was hungry I would say eat? because she knew what eating was then we gradually went to Charlotte eat and then onto Charlotte hungry? And now when shes hungry she will tell me eat or Charlotte hungry We have used this basic concept with her for well over a year and she speaks very clearly and has a HUGE vocabulary
Austinsmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD is 16 mos and doing the same thing. Most of the time I know what she wants so I'll tell her to 'say please' and she signs it. If its something she's just pointing or grunting about then I make her sign please. A few specific things she'll ask for by name (sign). That seemed to help because when she wants something she'll come running to me signing 'pleasepleaseplease' and I can say 'show me' and then she'll run to whatever she wants, giggling. Its cut down on the random grunting. But I think it is just the age, the start of independence. She knows what she wants!!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote