Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
sandrabees
Registered Users

Re: ways to start labor or encourage it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
Maybe not what you want to hear but I'd just stick it out. Ultrasound estimates on weight can be VERY innaccurate. Your baby will come when he/she is ready
In the mean time, swimming can be a nice thing to do to take the weight off for an hour or so. I also found yoga or other relaxation techniques helpful in my last 3 weeks.

Good luck
Thanks, I usually am of the same frame of mind, but I am miserable and hoping for some relief soon... preferably something natural will do the trick...

I have no relaxation coming my way anytime soon, no help with my kiddos as it is... none of my family is close by to help and my in-laws are too busy to be involved in our lives for anything helpful that is...
so swimming or yoga is out for me... about all we can do is walk and ride bikes, but it is getting far too hot to do that during the day

They will show up at the hospital and act all supportive and quickly hibernate after the birth to be no help or even see the baby or my other 2 kids... My mom will come when I go into labor but she is 10 hours away...

I am just soooo irritable and maybe secretly wanting MY MAMA here! LOL!

Advertisement

Jamie Mommy to Clint (8-21-02), Sandy (5-25-05) and Gavin (5-14-07)
sandrabees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #12
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt do the castor oil for the reason the other mama said above. Also, I wouldnt rely on u/s weight guesses (and 6lb 10oz isnt really that big, especiall at 37wks). WIth my last dd, I had an u/s at 37w & she was esimated to be 6lb 11oz. I had her 11 days later & she was JUST 6lb 1.7oz & 18" so it was WAY off. She should have been 7lbs by then (if they gain the 1/2oz a day). oh & I was 2cm & 50% by 36wks & NOTHING. Sometimes its just better to wait it out (at least till 38wks) before doing anything to get them here.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn View Post
Maybe not what you want to hear but I'd just stick it out. Ultrasound estimates on weight can be VERY innaccurate. Your baby

Yup. My kids were both 1lb smaller than the u/s said they were. Mine were 3 and 4 weeks early (on their own) and I wouldn't try to self induce, but JMO. Babies come when they're ready.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

There are several herbal and other natural ways to induce labor but none of them will work if your body isn't ready anyway. Blue and black cohosh are a couple herbs not mentioned yet...would try to consult with someone knowledgeable before taking those... Evening primrose oil is a prostaglandin (same effect as DTD, but you don't need DH!) you can take orally or vaginally to ripen the cervix. I have heard of using castor oil packs on your belly instead of drinking it to avoid the major icky side effects. There are also acupressure points on your hand and ankle - or similarly, acupuncture can work. GL mama - hang in there! Your babe will come when ready, and you'd hate to have that US be off and end up having an accidental preemie...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

3 things come to mind but first, I'd personally say to stick it out. You never know if this will be your last and though it is painful and uncomfortable, I would savor every last minute of it. That's just me though. Also, like a lot of others have said, do not rely on u/s feedback. You would feel horrible if you gave birth to a 4 or 5 pounder that wasn't ready yet. But, to answer your original question:

1) Nipple stimulation. For a child that is truly full term, nipple stimulation (such as twisting in a hot bath or pumping) will release your body's natural oxytocin to start labor contractions.

2) Gargonzola cheese. Sounds funny, but CPK (California Pizza Kitchen) actually has a salad on their menu that is loaded with the stuff and every preggo mama swears by it.

3) Pedicure. Good luck finding a good esthitician to do this past 32 weeks, but a good pedicure with massaging of the inner ankle pressure point can induce labor. Oh, and rubbing the web between your index and thumb fingers is another labor inducing pressure point.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote