Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms with behavioral medicated children.

From your post, I think all of you who medicated your children have made educated decisions. You shouldn't feel like you have to defend yourselves for that. My DS is on the Feingold diet and the diet seems to be working great for him. Even on the message board there are several kids on meds and the diet. Those kids need both to function well. Every kids needs are different.

I just know there are families out there that don't research things, like you all do.

They are told that there is a pill to fix things so they give it to their kids. While feeding them fast food chicken nugget,fries and a soda for dinner. I watched Jamie Oliviers show and that was a eye opener about what some kids diets are really like. When I watch those nanny shows I am shocked at the sleep deprivation and lack of structure some of those kids have. I am sure that a good majority of kids who are medicated parents have researched their choices and that they make good overall choices for their kids. But, after watching show like Jamie Oliviers and the nanny shows I wonder if some kids diagnosed with behavior problems are just lacking in things like nutrition and sleep.

My DS diet was not too bad before, but we had caved and started letting eat things like fruit snacks (the corn syrup, dye filled kind) and his grandma liked to buy him fancy cookies at the bakery with the colorful icing. He was never allowed more than one packet of fruit snacks a day or 1/2 a fancy cookie a day. But, all that dye and artificial stuff was driving him bonkers. He is just sensitive.

There are no easy answers that work for every kid. And, you are all very educated mamas, who I am sure doing what is right for your child.

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #22
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms with behavioral medicated children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimama View Post
I think there is no one right answer for every kid. Some kids respond well to dietary and environmental changes. Some kids need a combination of medications, dietary and environmental changes. Yet, some kids may only respond to medications.

It makes me sad though, that there is not very much information out there for parents on dietary and environment changes that they could make to help their children. I think parents are often pushed toward medications as a first line solution to their problems.

My son's friends are jealous of his lunch box. His one friend keeps begging her parents to let her bring her lunch to daycare. He doesn't miss out on anything. He gets plenty of fun treats. He has lots of friends and gets invited to his friend's parties. Now we just bring safe treats for him to eat. His friend could really care less what he eats.

Your child is preschool age? My child is in the 2nd grade. There's a big difference socially.

What research study are you quoting? There is a bunch of research on the Feingold website that links dietary sensitivities with behavior changes in children.

"ADHD Throughout the Lifespan"
by Patricia Quinn MD and Nancy Ratey EdM,ABDA,MCC

Yes. The Feingold site is selling something though, so I tend to be a little skeptical. I am certain that if it really, truly was more effective than medication then doctors would be all over it, because, seriously, anyone who can figure out how to successfully treat ADHD with repeated, consistent result will be a millionaire. As it is now, doctors will straight up tell people with heart problems, obesity, diabetes, etc. to change their diets as well.

Please don't criticize Moms who do chose to try and help their children by changing their diets. Do dietary changes work for everyone, no. But, don't knock it just because it didn't work for your kid.

I am NOT criticizing those who choose to try and help their children by changing their diets. I AM criticizing the unrealistic perception that a simple diet change will "cure" ADHD (and the inverse that parents who don't make this change are somehow negligent or lazy) and that medication is this big evil bugaboo that parents ignorantly stuff down their kids' throats so they don't have to think about it.

I'm also interested in dispelling the myth that diet changes alone are all it takes. I am on another forum and I have repeatedly seen testimonials of ADULTS who grew up on special diets to help their ADHD and weren't allowed to take medication. They lived it and now have the option for meds and take them because they help them think so much better than all of those years of special dieting. They go on and on about how they wish their parents had just tried the medicines to see if it helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralenth View Post
I am kind of offended by your first post. I know you didn't mean to be offensive, but to knock Mom's who medicate - until you've walked a mile in my shoes, you have no idea. We've tried eliminating things from my son's diet, and it hasn't helped. He's never had coke, and as of now, very few artificial sweeteners (or non artificial ones, for that matter). But it doesn't help him enough. He was struggling with making friends at school, and despite the fact he is very, very smart, struggling with getting his school work done. Do you know what it is like to see your child in tears because he can't control himself? I do. So, don't knock me for medicating my child. The medication he's on - his timed math test scores literally doubled overnight. Doubled.
This is how I felt when I read the OP, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
Does your car function on crap gasoline? Well sure, but not optimally. Our kids function on poptarts and chicken nuggets but not optimally.

I love this analogy! I'd like to add to it that even if your car gets premium fuel, yet has a cylinder misfiring, you still won't get the performance of a car who has all of its cylinders functioning properly.

I do want to say that while I did everything "right" with my daughter, she still has ADHD and slow processing speed and low working memory. She's got neuro issues.

You are not alone in this!

but there are those of us who have ADHD(myself) and kids with ADHD and it's not curable with diet alone.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm thrilled that there are those who CAN do it with diet alone, but the for vast majority of people with ADHD, diet alone just doesn't help enough.

We started meds recently and haven't seen any effect yet but I am truly hoping for the right med and dosage to come along.
I do hope you find something that works nicely at the right dosage. If you haven't found your way over to addforums.com go check it out. There are adult forums there for ADHD adults and parenting forums for those who have kids diagnosed with ADHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimama View Post
From your post, I think all of you who medicated your children have made educated decisions. You shouldn't feel like you have to defend yourselves for that. My DS is on the Feingold diet and the diet seems to be working great for him. Even on the message board there are several kids on meds and the diet. Those kids need both to function well. Every kids needs are different.

Thank you for this entire paragraph-especially the bolded. I think I am still sort of responding to the tone of the OP. Please forgive me for getting hung up on that.

There are no easy answers that work for every kid. And, you are all very educated mamas, who I am sure doing what is right for your child.
No kidding. Even meds are a kind of shooting in the dark till you hit the right med and dose.

It's a frustrating thing to deal with as a parent because there is such a stigma. I suffered from those misconceptions as well and it did NOT benefit my son. I tried so hard to somehow parent him and nourish him into not having ADHD. Like Faery, I did everything "right" yet still, here I am, giving my son his medicine every morning so that he can think straight and reading about how terrible parents are for medicating their kids. (not aimed at you, wimama!) It's disheartening.