Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
precious_babae
Registered Users
seller

Arms Reach Cosleepers??

So I really like the idea of an Arm's Reach Cosleeper...

Here's the problem..

I can't get over that it doesn't have mesh siding. I mean, if my baby got his face right up next to that siding, could he breathe through it? I'm so worried about suffocation for I had a friend and cousin pass from 1. suffocation and 2. SIDS and I need somebody to tell me how this seems safe? I can't get over that the original cosleeper that anchors to the bed doesn't have mesh siding and it's making me not want to purchase it....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-s-Reac...tural/10746480

UGGH! I plan on breastfeeding but am terrified of letting baby sleep in my bed. I was thinking of getting this because of all the mesh sides:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3977276
But I can't help but thinking I'll roll over or my husband will or the blankets will get up next to it.... or something. So I wanted to do the cosleeper, but I'm terrified of him not being able to breathe if he moved up against the siding.

Also - the JPMA certification says Cosleepers don't have to pass the same safety standards as a bassinet and crib does. Is this for the Cosleeper bassinets too?

Eek! Help please!

Advertisement

Last edited by precious_babae; 05-23-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: adding to it
precious_babae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
pkaskaggs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Arms Reach Cosleepers??

i love love love my co sleeper!!! my ds sleeps there and in bed with us. usually he starts out in his CS and then ends up in bed snuggled up with me because i fall asleep nursing him.

at first he slept in the infant positioner so i never really worried about suffocation...i would definitely recommend one of those to use at first. now that he is almost 3 months, i have taken it out and he just sleeps on the mattress.

hope that helps...and good luck to you
pkaskaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The mini has mesh siding
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3069590

and I actually preferred that to the regular sized one (I have used them both). My kiddos would sleep in the cosleeper until they were about 5 months, and then they came to bed with us. My DS slept with us until he was 2 years, and DD went to her own bed around 9 months.

If I remember correctly, babies don't really move in their sleep until they are like 5 months old (some sooner, some later), and at that point, it really isn't that much of a worry - if they can get themselves over to that corner, they can usually get themselves out of it). If you put an infant down on their back, most likely they are going to stay where they are. And the beauty of cosleeping is that you are right there. Hope that helps!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
NCFlanagan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my mini co-sleeper has mesh sides!
NCFlanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
jadefaerie
Registered Users

I'm having a similar debate with myself! I had something like the Summer Sleeper (Snuggle Nest: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3393695) and it was up between our pillows, so we really couldn't roll over on it or cover her accidentally. This was 5 years ago, but we didn't love it. The "mattress" was so flippin' hard she wasn't comfortable, and she'd scoot out the bottom. The Summer one stops the bottom scooting, but then if the kid is long, they outgrow it faster, I would think. Plus it wasn't very comfy to have it in bed and I had to sit up to scoop her in and out anyway, so I figure why not just get the kid out of the bed when they're in something?

I thought the same thing about the sides not being mesh on the cosleeper. Yet I've known a ton of people that have used the Arm's Reach with no issues (both the regular and the mini). Plus we had one of those mesh bumpers in my DS's crib for a few nights and it rubbed his face raw, so I worry about mesh being too rough. I'm so torn!
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

I think the mesh is better personally than a full fabric if the face got pushed up against it - my son at 8 months pushes his face up against the mesh side of the pack and play to look at me to play and be silly and I do the same and kiss him (I told my husband I really need to clean it - it looks clean but ick)... anyway, when my face is pressed, you can breathe, but we are much older than an infant and the big issue with an newborn/little one is their faces get stuck as they cannot move/turn their head.

We used the breathable bumper at 5-7 months too as our son's legs/head kept bumping and it made me nervous. I liked it till he kept banging his head trying to crawl more and now we have a very thin Target bumper. A nice woman from the CPSC came to look at our crib (it got exchanged as we know something was wrong when we went to drop the bottom) and she said when kids are older it is ok...

Where I worry with an open side is some babies early can flip and squirm - my son shocked me by flipping over at 5 weeks - we almost always have him swaddled (still do often but he can get around) and I'd worry about him falling out with that open side - but I'm very paranoid.

There are no good answers to any of this. Do what you are comfortable with. I could not sleep with my son next to me as every little noise, I'd wake up and was a walking zombie (I had him next to me the first few weeks)...it was much better in his own room/crib but we have a tiny house and can hear him very easily.

Last edited by pcjs; 05-23-2010 at 08:43 PM.
pcjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
jadefaerie
Registered Users

The side of the cosleeper isn't open--you can have the side up completely (so it's like a bassinet) or you can fold it down when it's attached to your bed, but there's still a good lip so they can't just fall out. (I was worried about that, too, and went to look at them a BRU.)
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
precious_babae
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for the insight ladies. I think I'll go with the mini then that has the mesh siding even though it doesn't hold as much weight as an original. =) I want to call the company and ask if they pass the same safety standards as regular cribs and bassinets do too because like I said, JPMA certification says that cosleepers do not have to and I just want to be as safe as possible! Thanks so much!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

Yep, the mini has mesh sides. I LOVED our mini!!! DD slept there until she was 7 months. It rates as one of the top items I would recommend to new Moms. Made nighttime breastfeeding a breeze.