Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How does one write their life story?

I know I have cancer but I am not writing because I think I am going to die. My story is so rare and I have mostly kept my head up during all of it that I think that it could help other people. I tell people part of it and they are normally shocked, however there is more to it.

So how do you start with this? Do you start at the beginning? I was born on such and such day to such and such parents? Or do I start where things became different then what most people do?

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:
Re: How does one write their life story?

I would give a little back history. Write like you would want to read. Would you want to read about every little bump and bruise when they were 3 or would you want to read the"juicy" stuff. Would you want to know what life was like prior to where they are today.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Saird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do some writing...
Personally I wouldn't start with I was born...etc...
It depends on HOW you want to write it. But for me... I would pick the (or one) of the defining moments and start to tell it. From that point on I would backtrack or jump forward, rather like a stream of consciousness, throughout the whole story, pulling it all back together. I know this doesn't sound very clear...
But usually just telling one part of the story will remind you of an earlier part...or something that happened later...all the moments that made you who you are...but sometimes you don't realize it until later, like hindsight.
If you can do it that way, I personally think it would have more impact for someone reading it. Rather like when you read a book that starts with a dramatic moment and leaves you wondering "what the heck" but then as you keep reading, you find out earlier parts of the story and then it makes sense.
If you could do it like that and pull it all together at the end, that would be amazing.
That's just my two cents though.
My DH has brain cancer and is dying btw and I've been considering writing a story myself. I wish you tons of luck.

Last edited by Saird; 05-24-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Saird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saird View Post
I do some writing...
Personally I wouldn't start with I was born...etc...
It depends on HOW you want to write it. But for me... I would pick the (or one) of the defining moments and start to tell it. From that point on I would backtrack or jump forward, rather like a stream of consciousness, throughout the whole story, pulling it all back together. I know this doesn't sound very clear...
But usually just telling one part of the story will remind you of an earlier part...or something that happened later...all the moments that made you who you are...but sometimes you don't realize it until later, like hindsight.
If you can do it that way, I personally think it would have more impact for someone reading it. Rather like when you read a book that starts with a dramatic moment and leaves you wondering "what the heck" but then as you keep reading, you find out earlier parts of the story and then it makes sense.
If you could do it like that and pull it all together at the end, that would be amazing.
That's just my two cents though.
My DH has brain cancer and is dying btw and I've been considering writing a story myself. I wish you tons of luck.
I agree with this way of writing it. I have often thought of doing something similar myself and always thought I would do it this way. Good luck writing!

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote