Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
ashleymarie_82
Registered Users
seller

Transitioning to Toddler Beds....any advice??

DS and DD (twins) will be 2 years old in June. I already have their toddler beds but they are still sleeping in their cribs. We aren't having any issues as far as them climbing out, but I am having surgery in 2 weeks and won't be able to lift them for 6 weeks to get them in and out of their cribs. I thought that would be a perfect opportunity to start using the toddler beds as I wouldn't have to lift them.

The twins go to bed and take their nap on a schedule and they have since they were 8 weeks old. But I am worried that if I put them in the toddler beds, they are going to be climbing in and out, getting into everything in their room and trying to escape their room rather than going to sleep. I'm afraid it'll just be a big party to them!!!

These are my first and only kids so I have no experience with transitioning to a toddler bed. Anybody have any experience or advice as to how to make sure they stay in bed or what to do about them getting out?

Advertisement

ashleymarie_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Mama2B&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Transitioning to Toddler Beds....any advice??

When I moved mine to toddler beds I stayed in the room with them until they fell asleep. I wouldn't talk to them, just stayed in there and made them stay in bed, after a few days I would move out of the room, but come back in to check on them so they knew I was still watching. My first daughter did great with this, I am still working on my second dd. Good luck!
Mama2B&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
ashleymarie_82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2B&I View Post
When I moved mine to toddler beds I stayed in the room with them until they fell asleep. I wouldn't talk to them, just stayed in there and made them stay in bed, after a few days I would move out of the room, but come back in to check on them so they knew I was still watching. My first daughter did great with this, I am still working on my second dd. Good luck!
Good luck to you too mama! Thanks for the advice....btw, how old were your LOs when you moved them to toddler beds?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Mama2B&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Baylee was 15 months and Isabelle is 21 months. Isabelle is VERY strong willed!
Mama2B&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just transitioned my 17 month old to a toddler bed last month because he was starting to climb. I thought it would be much harder than it was.
We started by putting the toddler bed in his room with his crib so he would get used to it. Then we started doing naps in the toddler bed for about a week before we moved to nights. The first night, he was a pro. Just feel asleep and slept 11 hours. He has been perfect in it ever since.
Good luck mama.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
ashleymarie_82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanjason View Post
I just transitioned my 17 month old to a toddler bed last month because he was starting to climb. I thought it would be much harder than it was.
We started by putting the toddler bed in his room with his crib so he would get used to it. Then we started doing naps in the toddler bed for about a week before we moved to nights. The first night, he was a pro. Just feel asleep and slept 11 hours. He has been perfect in it ever since.
Good luck mama.
That's sounds like a great idea! I wish I had room in their room to do that...but since it's twins sharing a bedroom there's absolutely no room for the cribs and toddler beds or even to transition one at a time

But your good experience definately gives me more positive motivation! Thanks mama
Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
lilac0226
Registered Users

My 27 month old twin boys transitioned 2 months ago after they started climbing out of their crib and it totally was/is a party. Pretty much I went through their room and moved anything I thought they could get into, even putting a lock on their closet since they love throwing their clothes on the floor. A couple times I tried having one go in another room, but to them they just wanted to explore since they were in a room they didn't normally sleep in.

Sometimes I will tapper their naps, putting one down and then later the other but most of the time then the other will just wake them up. I guess to me my goal most of the time is more to get a break than to ensure they are sleeping so I've sort of stopped stressing over them not sleeping. I would say 70% of the time they will play for a while and then fall asleep, generally they will eventually climb back in their beds but occassionally they will fall asleep on the floor. For example today they were in their room for about 1 1/2 hours before they started fussing and I doubt they fell asleep, I'm pretty sure they just played the whole time. But it gave me time to run to the store (Daddy ws home) and do some cleaning.

As you know twins are busy, I would just try switching them to their toddler beds and it's up to you what measures you take to try to get them to nap, but if they don't I wouldn't stress. My twins will have naps/quiet time I'm sure through the age of 4 because I need a break from their getting into everything. My 4 year old DS was a piece of cake moving into a toddler bed, sometimes he would scream but he stayed in his bed. With twins they have their buddy so it is always playtime to them.
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #8
ashleymarie_82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac0226 View Post
With twins they have their buddy so it is always playtime to them.
Exactly!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
ebentrup24
Registered Users

After my 24 mo old started throwing his leg over, we went to Target and let him pick out some sheets. We came home, moved the crib out, and just his mattress in (he's a jumper... figured he'd use it as a trampoline... he did... so he still just has a mattress, not the whole bed). We explained this was his new bed and he's been sleeping better than in his crib ever since. Some nights he'll spend up to an hour playing around, but on the flip side, he stays in his room (in all fairness, it's childlocked) reading or playing for up to an hour after he wakes up. He doesn't really have anything to play with though. There is 1 stuffed animal and several books in his desk. His closet has a childlock handle on it. HTH!

Compounding Interests
ebentrup24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not gonna be any help yet..but I just changed DD's crib to the toddler bed this morning. She has taken 2 naps in it today and is currently asleep for the night. She didn't try to get out at all and has been doing great. I guess you'll just have to try it out and see what works. They may be no trouble at all.