Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone move from the US to Germany?

I'm wondering how it went, how much it costs (if that's ok). Ups and downs, pretty much any info you can give me. We may have an oppertunity to move there, Landstuhl to be exact. One of the goverment contractors to the Army hospital needs an electronics technician. DH is very reserved about applying for it because we have no idea if we could afford a move. I know most likely the company would help out as this job has been up for a while and the are now pretty desperate for someone.

We'd both love it but I'm having a hard time researching how improbable it may be to afford, I'm on dial up right now so things go SLOW!! (it took me 10 solid min's to get the homepage of diaperswappers up) I came here because I know there are alot of military mamas on here, oh and BTW we are retired navy so are entitled to commissarry/medical etc privedges that may help make it less expensive. I'm thinking it may be chaper just to move with clothes and a few items and get furniture etc there...

TIA!!!

ETA: the ONLY things we are attached to is our family, Dh is a little attached to trinkets he's picked up in his 20 year navy carrer but that's it

Advertisement

Last edited by aiyana4969; 05-04-2010 at 03:42 PM.
aiyana4969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
cedricsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone move from the US to Germany?

I would think that the employer has to move you and is doing the necessary paperwork as well? Furniture is not cheap in germany, you can buy Ikea. Depends all on how much you will earn. Do you have an idea if your employer will pay for housing? Will you live on a military base?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Mom2lucy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH contracted in Kuwait for a year. They paid him to move and move home. He is ex-airforce. If we chose to contract again overseas they would pay to move our whole family and back and pay for us to live on base. Not sure if this helps. Good Luck!
Mom2lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

I live in thailand. With expat assignments, everything is negotiable in my experience. In our case, the company paid for our move and pays our living expenses here in thailand. Except for cable and internet, we pay that ourselves. We get a cost of living allowance which helps with the increased food costs here. We are provided a car and driver. Dh negotiated a yearly bonus and the company pays for my son's private school. Do make sure you get paid flights home every year. We get one trip home per year although dh's company is very generous and paid for an extra one this year because I had to go back to the states for cancer treatment. Houses come furnished here for the most part so we kept our home in ohio and just came with personal belongings and such.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would have him talk to whoever does the hiring for the job. You can find out about it and see. They should pay for moving, may pay for you to live on base..it is an army base I think. Don't quote me I was 11 1/2 when I left Germany and no longer military. Dad was in AF. If not give you a housing allowance to live off base. I know when we were at Rhein Main(now closed) there were people that lived off base by choice and my parents did at first before getting base housing.
It won't hurt to have him ask all the details. I would go for it. May be a once in a lifetime chance for him and your family. I would love love love to live back in Germany. Yes I know I lived on the base bubble more or less so it would be different if I went civilian but I miss germany a lot!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

Remember as retirees, you can use (which we do and I hope you do if you have access) to Tricare Prime, commissary, AAFES online (though some prices are better, some not - but they ship internationally, etc), and all that)...employers usually pay for moves - put some stuff in storage or relatives home, etc. My mom had a friend do it and they are very happy there but no kids - I've heard some folks negotiate to get the kids paid into the American school too by the employer. I'd use the military insurance vs. any civilian they provide as probably easier/more comfortable to use American and Germany has very strong bases there right now - but check and make sure you can get into prime there.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
SchatziB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You should be able to get VAT forms on base as retirees which would make buying furniture SO much cheaper when you don't pay tax.
We LOVED living there and the Landstuhl area is awesome. It's the largest population of American overseas making the transition really easy. You can always scout base garage sales for fillers and I'd become an Ikea junkie. Really I'd go in a heatbeat! Hopefully his company will cover the move.

Well here we go again!
SchatziB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #8
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

TY all so much you've been super helpfull. I'll have to show all of this to DH. It's been a while since I checked this thread. He said he doesn't want to move for a year, but I also know that these things take time to apply, negotiate etc. He's so used to having 6-9 months notice so he's very timid about moving at the drop of a hat, tho I'm used to it. I moved cross country by myself when I had a 6 week old and 19month old after he deployed.

Again TY ladies for the info!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

I just wanted to chime in. If you don't get base privelages through your civilian employer, then as a retiree you must pay German VAT on anything you buy on base through the commissarry and BX.

I would check to see if the employer will pay for your move. I've only heard of one company that didn't pay for their employees to move overseas, but it is a teeny tiny company.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I don't have advice about moving there but I went to Germany for 2 weeks and had an absolute blast And I would move there in a heartbeat! My sister is going to be a junior in college and she is doing a year long study abroad there, I'm so excited for her and hoping to go visit
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote