Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #21
Cussin' Crafter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spiritual/Religious Books...recommend some

I can really relate to being on a spiritual quest to find something that works for you. Not being told what to believe, rather discovering your own beliefs and truths that make sense to you. I wish you luck, as I am still searching myself. I have been asking questions and trying to figure out what I believe for years. I can say that the book Anam Cara has touched my life and I highly recommend reading it.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

This is the first book I read about Wicca, other than things I read online. I really liked it and I would recommend it especially for a beginner.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0806524553/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20

I grew up in a very strict Christian family, but I always had doubts and things really just didn't make sense to me. Not to mention that they scared the crap out of me with bible stories at Sunday school.
Now I call myself a Born Again Pagan just for kicks. I am studying under a High Priestess and I love it, it gives me an outlet for spirituality and creativity. There's no "you HAVE to believe this, you MUST do that" The best part is that everyone is completely open and loving and accepts you for the person you are, instead of trying to mold you into something you aren't. I look forward to meeting with fellow students every week, and our rituals, whereas I dreaded going to church every Sunday and stopped as soon as I moved out of my parents house.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
TwoDarlings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For a brief overview of different beliefs I recommend
The Guide to cults, religions, & spiritual beliefs by Bruce & Stan. It's a very easy read and you can then do further research into anything you find interesting.

The following books helped me on my spiritual path:

-How To Know God by Deepak Chopra
-Inspiration by Dr. Wayne Dyer
-How To Practice The way to a Meaningful Life by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
-A Course In Miracles
-The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield it's fiction but really helped me examine myself and open my mind

Good luck on your search and I hope you find what's right for you!!
M and and mommy to darling #1 L and darling #2 G

Own your own business? Join me on Facebook for tips to optimize your biz!
TwoDarlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
Cussin' Crafter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the recommendations of reading anything by HH the Dalai Lama. Seeing him speak was one of the most spiritually fufilling events in my life.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #25
ba.merritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
I guess any book by Donald Miller. He's amazing. He believes in God so i guess you could say he's a christian but DOES not fit a christian mold. Thats how our family is. We believe in God and the Bible and having a relationship with Him but i am AGAINST saying anyone else is wrong or going to hell for doing anything different than we do. Our church is SO accepting of everyone and our pastor ALWAYS tells us that people dont come to church because of us. Because there are so many hypocrites or people preaching what is right and wrong. And we need to embrace and accept EVERYONE no matter what they do or where they came from. I grew up with EXTREME hypocrite christians in my family and to me sin is sin and there is no sin greater than anyone else's. I may not like what someone does but that doesnt mean i'm better than them because God sees my sin the same way He sees theirs. But yeah, Blue Like Jazz blew me away. Its amazing.