Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
SPAM ME w/recipes and ideas

We are really tight in our budgeting. We are also really not getting the daily nutrition or variance that we need. I think my milk supply suffers from only getting about one meal a day.
Give me your recipes and ideas!

We get WIC for both J and myself.
We have a Price Rite here (often cheaper than the regular grocery store but tends to carry more boxed, canned, and processed things, not even real juice, REALLY good meat prices though.)

I need some sample "menus" I guess, list of ingredients, cost of each item, that kind of thing.
What HEALTHIER things can I buy for cheap?
I'm a SAHM, I can learn to schedule dinner making in. We already brave the grocery store during the week.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
VikingKvinna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SPAM ME w/recipes and ideas

Our Price Rite has a lot of "ethic" international foods, which tend to be less expensive and healthier -- IF you stay away from the processed stuff, of course. But dry beans, noodles, rice, etc. are a good place to start. Beans are awesome - if you are not cooking them, start. You can make soups, stews/chilis, rice and beans, bean-burgers, even snacks (roasted chickpeas, white or black bean dip) as well as put them into wraps or burritos/quesadillas. Same for lentils. There are so many different kinds, and with a few spices and veggies you can really change them up. The HillBilly Housewife has some great ideas and recipes for beans. My favorite thing in the world lately is braised escarole w/white beans. Chop the escarole, saute in a smidge of EVOO with some garlic and hot pepper flakes, then add a few cups of chicken broth (depending on how soupy you like it) and cooked white beans like cannelinis. When it's cooked/heated through, add some lemon juice and some parmesan cheese. You can put pasta in to make it heartier or serve with crusty bread to soak up the broth.

Eggs will give you good nutrition, can be prepared in a bunch of ways and served at any meal. THey're relatively inexpensive.

I rely a lot on frozen spinach (esp out of season) and canned tomatoes. Any kind of vegetable soup, or soup with a bit of meat for flavoring but also packed w/veggies, will be pretty cheap, filling and good for you. Take, for example, a minestrone; with a 1/4 pound of Italian sausage (or none), some dried beans, canned tomatoes and some fresh but inexpensive vegetables (carrot, kale, celery, onion, maybe zucchini or mushroom) you can make a really good soup. Put all your vegetable scraps/peels into a freezer bag and make stock when you have enough.

If you have a farmers' market near you, go towards closing time and haggle. The farmers would rather sell their stuff for less money than cart it back to the farm. You can get cheap veggies that way. Also, try an Asian or Indian grocery if you have one of those. Get a big bag of brown rice. It'll be a lot cheaper than buying teeny ones at the regular supermarket (and our PR doesn't carry brown) and brown rice is SO much better for you.

Make as much as possible from scratch: bread, salad dressing, desserts, yogurt, mayonnaise, potato wedges instead of fries, popsicles, pizza, etc. If you make it yourself it's almost invariably going to be cheaper and better for you.

I haven't recipes, just b/c I 'm not sure what your family likes/would or would not eat, but LMK (you can PM me) if you want some. I'm happy to help. I really like to use foodblogsearch.com for recipes in addition to the usual sites (Chow, Epicurious, AllRecipes), so if you have an ingredient you're trying to use, type it in there for inspiration.

Hope that helps!
VikingKvinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are on a tight budget too. I post menus and recipes on my blog. www.cheerasyoufly.blogspot.com Anything that's listed and I don't have a recipe for, I can send you with the price breakdown. We rarely spend much on a meal.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
birdie
Registered Users
seller

I have heard http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/ is good.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
jessicalee
Registered Users
seller

One thing I do when tight is everyother night do some form of Rice & Beans
I cook a bag of beans in the crockpot all day seperate into meal sizes and freeze, I do this with pinto & black both from wic.
With the rice I buy the biggest cheapest bag.
Theres lots of rice recipes out there,
and leftover rice can then be turned into fried rice with any left over meat.
jessicalee is offline   Reply With Quote