Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Standards for diapers on the FSOT boards

Basically because people have thier own ideas on what condition things are in.. maybe to them the item is EUC... but you would see it as VGUC or whatever. maybe the elastic they wouldn't see as relaxed or they wouldn't think the staining was that bad, but you might, KWIM?

I don't see how it would change the way someone saw something. that and people just aren't honest all the time.

I understand your irritation though, I've gotten some not so great things on here as well. You live and learn and look at pictures VERY CLOSELY.

Advertisement

jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

Sorry mama,I understand what you're saying, however I actually think that full descriptions are necessary and that there should instead be a sticky saying NOT to use the abbreviations at all and to always ask specific questions.

(I mean really, even if there were a standard and a sticky-how would you know without asking every seller if they had 1) read them and 2) if they were using them? In the end, you'd still find yourself having to ask questions.)

Here is a link below to a great sticky listing all the things people should disclose in their listings and then likewise all the things sellers should ask about before buying.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=676658

Last edited by Emmaleigh3699; 05-26-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Riley-Madison
Banned

My Mood:

I got a super smelly BG organic once...soo sad
Riley-Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
tripmomplus1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is the reason I only buy new diapers anymore, my idea of EUC is not the same as other peoples and I just never know what I am going to get. I have also heard of people putting up diapers as New (as in never used) and they come to people with stains and very obviously used. It's happens enough around here that I am willing to hold on to my paypal just a bit longer while I wait for a deal to pop up somewhere so I can get the diaper new for the same price being asked for it used or "new" here. It's sad, but it seems that the FSOT around here has been crazy with issues lately, so I am just not willing to take a chance.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
jakossi
Registered Users
seller

I think it's hard because it is very subjective, even with the standard you're suggesting. DH insists that the dipes make the washer smell, and have an odor coming out of the dryer. I don't smell it. (I think it's in his head or he has a super sensitive nose).

I think that's why the reviews are so important, and that people be honest, not mean. It's intimidating though if you have a bad experience with someone who has stellar ratings. If you're like me, you don't want to be mean, but we need to be honest for it to be helpful for others.

I guess I just chalk things up to the fact that there is a certain amount of gambling purchasing off of forums like this. On the converse side, I've been pleasantly surprised by items described as GUC that were VG or even E IMO.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
jakossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
mommy2emmagrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with ya Mama! I got some gdiapers from a Mama that were listed as EUC and they were not even what I would call "good condition"!!! I only buy if I can see pics now!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We can't have standards because even that is subjective to the person listing things.

You idea of lightly stained may be someones ideas of badly stained. Someones badly stained diaper may be someones idea of lightly stained. And cameras don't always show the stains no matter how many times you try to get a picture of it.

Smell is also subjective. Some people can't smell perfumes and such as well as others. So while one person would swear up and down that it doesn't smell another person would say it does.

Going by what the OP put down as her standards (which isn't how I'd define those abbreviations in some instances) what does 'showing slight signs of wear' vs 'showing moderate signs of wear' mean? What is slight wear to one person is moderate wear to another. What is moderate wear to one person is heavy wear to another.

So what I'd personally recommend is not buying something that only uses an abbreviation unless you ask a lot of specific questions. That reduces the likelyhood of being surprised by the condition of something you buy.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #18
eaglewife126
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh3699 View Post
Sorry mama,I understand what you're saying, however I actually think that full descriptions are necessary and that there should instead be a sticky saying NOT to use the abbreviations at all and to always ask specific questions.

totally agree!!! everyone's definition is going to be different. thats why its important to get the specifics!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree! I bought two lots of diapers before my DD was born and they were great and I thought this was the greatest site ever. The last few months every purchase I have made has been severely dissapointing.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
knockknockknockin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakossi View Post
I think that's why the reviews are so important, and that people be honest, not mean. It's intimidating though if you have a bad experience with someone who has stellar ratings. If you're like me, you don't want to be mean, but we need to be honest for it to be helpful for others.
That's interesting that you say that...because it seems like almost everybody has 100% positive feedback scores, yet there are always tons of complaints about diapers not being as good as advertised. Something doesn't add up there.
knockknockknockin is offline   Reply With Quote