Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I overreacting?

That made my gut churn just reading it. First of all, I would be majorly upset at the haircuts too, because that's a pretty big thing to just take upon yourself to do without asking or consulting the kids' parents. But leaving a little one all alone in a very public place, that is DARK? Who knows what could have happened! Thankfully nothing, but I cannot even fathom it.

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
mommybird
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would have been LIVID as well. A crowded place is the perfect place for a child to be abducted. My own 5-year-old has thrown fits saying "I don't want to go with you, I want to go with my Daddy." and she was yelling it at ME. Nobody would have known if I was kidnapping her or not, and nobody even made an effort to stop and question me. I would be letting her know that this is not acceptable and she cannot let it happen again, whether she agrees with you or not, because they are your children and she needs to respect your wishes.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your responses. The haircut bothered me a tiny bit, but I know my mom so TBH I wasn't totally surprised. I just kind of laughed it of and took both kids to the hair dresser/barber to get them fixed. But the leaving DS alone thing made me very mad. I told her it wasn't okay, and I will not be leaving her with the kids for a long time. I don't even let him go into the public bathrooms alone yet.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
tripmomplus1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be LIVID. Very recently a little girl was sexually assulted in a public library FULL of people, they where all around, he didn't take the little girl somewhere private or try to walk away with her, he assulted her in a room full of people. THAT is what scares me, people who want to do something bad are often bold about it and it isn't until AFTER they do the bad thing that people say "I can't believe someone would do that". I believe it and keep it right in the forefront of my mind at all times, and I make sure that anyone who has my kids knows that it is NEVER ok to leave them alone or take their eyes off them.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #25
Prov1634
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hearing about leaving your 5 year old in the theater alone (scary!) really puts the haircut in perspective... not really ok, but not a battle to die on.

Haircut - could be a misunderstanding (difference of culture/perspective/expectation)...something to calmly and casually discuss. "Mom, I enjoy taking care of and deciding how my children's hair is cut. Please don't make changes without asking me."

Leaving your child - serious safety issue, but best addressed calmly. Lecturing your mom will only put her on the defensive...not to mention be offensive/ not honoring.

Want to try Swagbucks? ---> http://swagbucks.com/refer/Prov1634
Prov1634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I'd probably leave my 5 year old in a theater alone. No younger, and maybe not, but that wouldn't be a huge deal to me. For me, I just figure she's right, though of course something bad can always happen. I'd be more upset about the haircut. But basically it comes down to what you're comfortable with. I would just tell her that makes you really scared and that if that ever happens again to NOT leave him in there, just to take everyone to the bathroom. Not like someone is going to get their seats in the middle of a movie.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #27
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I look at it this way. If an emergency happened, would you be able to find the 5 year old outside the theater? Would the 5 year old know how to leave the theater and where to go?

Probably not. I'd be pretty pissed, honestly.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #28
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be so upset about BOTH! Haircuts are the PARENTS choice. I can't imagine just up and deciding to cut someone ELSE's child's hair to suit myself.

And I would be even more furious about the theater. What if she had come back and he was GONE???? He could have gotten scared and went searching for her, or someone wooed him out of the theater and taken him, or any number of things. CRAZINESS! Your childs safety should be first and foremost!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #29
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am over the top shocked about both. How horrifying! I'm so sorry Mama!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #30
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't be mad at the hair. It grows back, no biggy. My mil cuts dd1 hair all the time w/o asking me and I don't think it's a big deal. I'd be mad about leaving your 5 year old by himself though. I would explain to her how that makes you feel and that you are super angry about it