Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why does she have to scream all the time?

I forgot to add the carrot that goes with the stick.

I give points towards extra fun stuff (we limit electronic activity time, so that or 5 extra minutes before bedtime, or a treat for snack, or a special trip with Mommy/Daddy, or a playdate, or a small toy) for every time I see the kids doing something that we're working on. So you can try awarding stickers/points for using an indoor voice in the house all day, and for every timeout that's taken without a hassle.

This system comes from a wonderful book; Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach, by Howard Glaser.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
4boys4me
Registered Users

I didn't read all of the responses but I have my 2 middle boys who LOVE to scream!!! They scream all the time just because! I took my 4yr. old to the dr. the other day for his 4yr. check-up and I told the dr. to listen to him.. The kid is horse! He can not talk and it is from screaming soooo much... I don't know what to do with them. They do sit in time out but they get up and go back at it as if they never sat in time out! Anyway, the dr. talked to him about his screaming and well.. He is doing great!!!! AND because he is no longer screaming his brother is following suit! He isn't screaming all the time and as a matter of fact he has squealed a few times I think cause he is sooo used to doing it,lol.. but other than that it has been so less stressful around here!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
BlueMango
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi
I think she is needing attention, hence the raising of her voice.
I think you are probably right. Can you leave your DS with someone and just spend an hour or two once a week just with her? It doesn't have to be a lot of time, but just that little bit of special mommy time should make a noticable different.

I have a 6yr old drama queen...when she starts screaming/wailing she gets sent to her room and is told that she can come down when she can talk/behave nicely again. We're at the point now where she shuts it down pretty fast once she's sent up. If it's just a volume thing, she gets a few reminders before I start thinking about timeouts/privledges etc...now that it's warm out she will get one warning and if she continues being loud, I will just send her outside in the yard...outside for outside voices...when she can talk softly she'll be allowed back in.
BlueMango is offline   Reply With Quote