Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sand or Dirt?

We got my 1 yr old a sandbox. Someone suggested that we fill it with [clean/safe] dirt instead of play sand because the sand hurts worse when it gets in eyes and in sensitive areas. DS might be a little young, but he won't stay out of my flower pots when we're outside. So, what do you think - sand or dirt? Thanks

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sand or Dirt?

Ugh. Not dirt.
Dirt stains clothes. Dirt hurts if you get it in your eyes too. Plus dirt is easier to get into your eyes than sand, which is larger grained than dirt. Plus dirt isn't 100% dirt earth. It's decomposing plant matter, dead bugs, small twigs & rocks, pieces of wood, etc. I mean, even bagged "clean" dirt has these things in it. I'm not just talking alley dirt.
Kids like dirt, for sure. But sand is way easier to clean up from than dirt. Plus you can do a sand n water thing but you can't with dirt. Well, you can but then patties ensue!
I mean, it's not horrible but it's like you kid playing in potting soil. Now imagine them sitting in it.
Dirt is fun for landscaping project fun & entertainment, but for daily play? No way! I have kids and I'm not afraid of dirt but we have a 6.5 ton sandpit. I love how fun yet clean it is. I do tell my daycare parents that there is no charge & they aren't required to return all that sand their kids bring home in their shoes!
Lol!
Kids love tactile things. Sand, rice, corn, pebbles(called 40/20 county road gravel here), river rock, beads, flour, dirt, etc. Our local lumber yard even sells shredded tire "sand". But it's like $20 per 40lb bag!

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 05-30-2010 at 07:42 PM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
momof4kidz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Exactly. That's why I won't buy that dumb little tikes mud pie maker (well that and the price). Plus you can also get colored sand now. My kids love it!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sand all the way. It's SO much easier to get off the kids than dirt!
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like sand, but my friend hates it. She has her sandbox filled with little pebbles. That is fun too. I've also seen them filled with corn kernels.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

Sand. My FIL just built a sandbox for 15 month old DD and she LOVES it!! Well, she was a little scared at first but NOW she loves it! I love it too - I sit in it with her and "zen" out a bit by raking it with my fingers
I think it's an easier clean up than dirt too. And I KNOW my DD would eat pebbles and corn kernels. She tastes the sand but I have less issue with that than if she were eating pebbles and kernels. Though that sounds like a cool idea for older kids - but I would guess it's hard to build pebble castles or kernel castles

Last edited by Sassu; 05-30-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sand. NO contest. Let kids help you in the garden, play in the woods, etc... for dirt, for day to day play, sand in the sandbox is far easier than dirt. Corn, pebbles and such is also fun!
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would choose sand over dirt.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a sand area thats closed in using cross ties for my tike! he loves going in it, I just fill up the baby pool and he runs between the two all afternoon!
The sand rinses off the swim dipes well.
Mama to Malachi(12/31/08) and Micah(8/13/11) and with #3!
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sand it is! Thanks ladies - I was leaning that way, but wasn't sold on it until now. If DS were older, I'd totally go for pebbles or corn kernals. He would totally put those little pieces in his mouth. He's tried dirt a few times, but I think he's learned that it's not fun to have in his mouth

Last edited by LnzsOut; 05-30-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo
LnzsOut is offline   Reply With Quote