Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When do babies NEED solids?

thanks everyone!

Tommy has never been able to nurse, but I just stopped pumping for him. I pumped every 2 hours for 8 months and still didn't make enough for him to get only breastmilk. So he's had formula from the start as well. I do have a bit of breastmilk frozen, but it's barely enough for 1-2 bottles a day for a month, so I expect him to be 100% Formula Fed (liquid wise) by 11 months old. So at least he'll only have to go a month or two with having that much formula. I seriously hate formula- the smell, the stains, making it, the smell of formula burps, everything. lol

Tommy LOVES food. He enjoys pureed food from a spoon, but I make all of his purees. He's now starting to gum a bit so I've been giving him chunkier foods. He does loves a few of the jarred "3rd Foods" and I do give those to him. I'm super anal about checking the ingredients though. I'm soooo nervous about him choking! He does pretty good with tiny chunks, but doesn't quite have the pincer grip down yet so he's not the best at feeding himself. But he sure enjoys eating! Right now he eats full fat yogurt, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, zucchinis, carrots, peaches, pears, homemade applesauce, we're trying apricots tomorrow, bananas...

Like I said, I do try to aim for 2-3 solids a day, but I felt soooo guilty if he went a day without any solids, or only once a day. I feel much, much better now.

*If I had been able to nurse I probably would have waiting much longer to introduce solids, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
thanks everyone!

Tommy has never been able to nurse, but I just stopped pumping for him. I pumped every 2 hours for 8 months and still didn't make enough for him to get only breastmilk. So he's had formula from the start as well. I do have a bit of breastmilk frozen, but it's barely enough for 1-2 bottles a day for a month, so I expect him to be 100% Formula Fed (liquid wise) by 11 months old. So at least he'll only have to go a month or two with having that much formula. I seriously hate formula- the smell, the stains, making it, the smell of formula burps, everything. lol

Tommy LOVES food. He enjoys pureed food from a spoon, but I make all of his purees. He's now starting to gum a bit so I've been giving him chunkier foods. He does loves a few of the jarred "3rd Foods" and I do give those to him. I'm super anal about checking the ingredients though. I'm soooo nervous about him choking! He does pretty good with tiny chunks, but doesn't quite have the pincer grip down yet so he's not the best at feeding himself. But he sure enjoys eating! Right now he eats full fat yogurt, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, zucchinis, carrots, peaches, pears, homemade applesauce, we're trying apricots tomorrow, bananas...

Like I said, I do try to aim for 2-3 solids a day, but I felt soooo guilty if he went a day without any solids, or only once a day. I feel much, much better now.

*If I had been able to nurse I probably would have waiting much longer to introduce solids, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way
Let me just say... it sounds like he's eating a lot more than my daughter was at 9 months!! She ate variety but only a few little pieces a day of anything...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Let me just say... it sounds like he's eating a lot more than my daughter was at 9 months!! She ate variety but only a few little pieces a day of anything...
Oh man, he can eat! He eats the YoBaby organic Yogurt and usually eats 3/4ths of it, sometimes the whole thing, he'll eat half of the larger sized jars/containers and usually all of the small containers. If it's something I made and froze he'll have 2 ice cubes worth.

I feel a lot better now. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and follow Tommy's lead.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

simple answer - they need solids when they are no longer thriving (gaining weight) on nursing or bottles alone. Breastfed babies it's longer - because human milk changes to fill the need of the child.

so as long as he's thriving, I wouldn't stress about how much and how often at all. he'll let you know when he's hungry.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11

Last edited by clb; 06-01-2010 at 07:23 AM.
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Kbunz14
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Every baby is different. I can't imagine not giving my DD table food until she was around 9-12 mos.
Around 6 months my baby demanded food from the table, and now at 8 months is even more demanding to have what we're having. I do purees with fresh veggies and fruits and when we have chicken or meat I'll chew a bit for her. She's learning to chew things slowly but she's very good a letting me know that she wants food or a boobie. Oh and she eats probably about 2.5oz 2x a day. I freeze things in ice cubes and it's about 2.5 ice cubes each meal. Plus whatever breastmilk she demands.
As for cows milk, I've always been told to wait until they're 1.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #16
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My pediatrician told us that around 9 months the breatmillk composition changes as well as the baby's need for nutrients. So that we should start solids then if we haven't already. That doesn't mean they need 3 meals a day on solids though. Its whatever they want. Some days my first would eat lots of solids, others she wouldn't really touch them. Totally normal.

I think it sounds like he is doing fine.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would say they NEED it (in my opinion) at 1 year old. i dont have any medical proof to back me up or anything, but about 1 year is the furthest that i would feel comfortable going without giving my LO solids. i started giving DS solids regularly at about 6 months old, he was formula fed. he was fully on table food (no jarred baby food) by 10 months, and weaned onto whole milk just a few days before his 1st birthday. i figured since he was formula fed there was no point in keeping him on formula any longer than needed when it doesnt change to meet his nutritional needs like breastmilk would. i plan on BF DD due in july and i dont know when i will start solids with her, i know im not going to give her any solids whatsoever until she is at least 6 months, but idk when i will start giving her solids regularly (like on a meal schedule or daily). i want to BF her well after 1 year old, along with solids. i cant immagine not giving DS solids until 1 year old though, he loved solids.

Last edited by stringbean02; 06-01-2010 at 08:07 AM.
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote