Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty Learning "emergency" lol

First let me say that I'm the pretty laidback type and do value letting my children learn to go when they're ready. I do! But reiterating that patience is a virtue isn't going to resolve this situation I've gotten myself into. My oldest two learned to potty shortly after their third birthdays--just basically decided to get reliable on their own one day. A lot of people thought that was "too old" and I should've tried harder but I don't really care.

Well, my 3rd ds turned three back on Oct. 2. I was sure he would get reliable soon. No dice. He has gone "number two" on the potty for months now but just won't inititate using it otherwise. He stays dry all night, can make himself "go" when I put him on it, but like this morning: I told him to take himself when he got up, he did, an hour later he was soaked through. Anyway here's the real problem: back in Feb., confident this would resolve itself soon, I signed a contract to teach next year. The deciding factor was that this is a private school and I can take all the kids with me. Problem is, this particular ds will be too old to go in with a younger class, and can not go into his own class if he is not reliably pl'd! I now start in two months, and he's no further along than he was a year ago. I'm starting to panic a little. I've tried everything I know of, but am open to suggestions on how to tip him over the edge!

Advertisement

kaymurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
spears_family
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Potty Learning "emergency" lol

Have you tried a reward system?
Get a poster from the dollar store and track how many days he can stay dry all day. If he stays dry all day give him a sticker on the chart, after 5 or 7 stickers he earns something. Find something that really motivates him, like going to get an ice cream with Mom or Dad all by himself. Or maybe a trip to the dollar store to pick out a toy is enough motivation. If he can't do it with just stickers as a reward, make smaller daily rewards also. To help remind him, get a timer and set it for every hour. When it beeps have him ask himself, "Do I need to go?". Or just send him to the potty after every beep.
They say it takes 3 weeks to build a habit, so just stay patient. It will happen! Julia :-)
spears_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
lily0163
Registered Users

Have you tried the three day method?
lily0163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spears_family View Post
To help remind him, get a timer and set it for every hour. When it beeps have him ask himself, "Do I need to go?". Or just send him to the potty after every beep.
I did this for some time, then when we were away from home he told me he couldn't go because his timer hadn't beeped!

Is the 3 day method where you don't have them wear anything but a long shirt for 3 days? I've tried that before, but he flooded the couch, then he flooded a chair and tried to clean it himself while I wasn't looking, which made a huge mess. I feel bad not allowing him on the furniture (like a puppy!), and found I can't get him to stay sitting on a towel when he does sit down. He's one of those kids who is literally always on the move.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We kindof did the "3 day learning" thing.
I had a four day weekend, so we put him in undies and tested his readiness(which sounds like you are past that already!). We basically just hung out with him all four days. He never was alone & was always watched for "signs"(fidgeting, flightyness, quietness). Then we'd say "I go potty" and sit on the potty. My son doesn't like the every so often method(like every 30 minutes, etc) as you do catch some but it's by luck mostly and alot of sitting on there is pointless as they don't have to go like that(our bodies aren't clocks!).
First day, he had 6 accidents.
Second day, he had 1.
3rd day he had none.
We are 2 weeks into it now, and he still makes me nervous with waiting too close to needing to go, but he does it on his own now.
Just make sure going is a HUGE deal!
"yay! Potty in the potty! Wow!"
M&Ms or stickers can work too. But my son works for praise usually!
Make sure you give him the words to use to let you know he needs to go.
"I go potty"
or something like that.
He certainly is old enough and should be able to initiate it on his own.
Undies will make him more reliable(or naked). He needs to know he's wet and you need to be able to see he is wet.
And I don't have my son sit on towels, he sits on a lap. Mine, hubby, big brother. Kids don't want to pee on you, so they start moving around & then you know they need to go. Easier to change my pants than the couch cushion!

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 06-01-2010 at 08:18 AM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will try it again. Can't hurt right? The couch is pretty much already shot!

What kills me about this kid is he is like talking to an adult anyway. He has been is sposies lately due to his flash flooding. Well I'm so over it, when he has an accident he takes care of it himself. He says "Uh-oh, I'm wet," goes in the restroom, takes pull-up off and puts it in the trash, gets a new one out from under the sink, puts it on and then replaces his shorts or pants. The other day while doing this he sticks his head out of the bathroom door and yells "Hey Mommy, we're running out of pull-up's." What could I say? I just said, "Okay, I'll put them on the list!"
Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like he's using pull-ups like a potty.
He's got the right idea but wrong place to relieve himself.
Ditch the pull-ups. Those things are evil!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
nikkilynn
Registered Users
seller

Location: Glad to be back in th PNW :) Allyn Wa to be exact!!
My Mood:

Since he uses the pull ups like a potty you could try having him relieve himself in the bathroom. After he has that down then take away the pull ups.