Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: who do you know that refuses to BF?

Ummm...everyone in my family! I don't know if this is still around, but my mom had some kind of shot immediately after my sister and I were born that was supposed to stop lactation. She said she still leaked for a while and how gross it was. She was appalled to say the least when I told her I'd be breastfeeding.

DH's mom breastfed all 3 kids for a year. So, I'm glad we have some support on that side (even though we live hours away from any of our family).

Luckily, all of my friends/coworkers did/do breastfeed or at least support it.

Advertisement

Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
jubbamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't get it either, why have children if you don't want that bonding, and to think that some woman try sooo hard to BF and have difficulty, then there's the ones who just don't want to deal with it. I know a girl who is 5mo pregnant and she refuses to BF because her mom didn't Bf her and neither did her Grandma BF her mom, it's like some weird tradition or something??? I love the bonding I have with my son through BFing and I hope that we can (without being pushy) inspire other woman to BF their children....
jubbamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
sewinmama
Registered Users

Me and my cousin are the only ones who have bf in my family.. well my mom tried with my brother (her first) and said she had supply issues so stopped after a few weeks. But I get told constantly "I wish you would just stop..it'd be easier on you. You could have a break..she's ol enough to stop." She's only 5 months now. Pretty much everyone else I know had reasons like "it'd be uncomfortable" as in not natural.. and someone told me "that's just plain gross."
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
jenthe10
Registered Users

One of my friends who doesn't have kids said shed never bf because she doesn't want to ruin her boobs. Now no offense to anyone but she's probably 350lbs and her boobs are by no means perky.
jenthe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

My step sister. She never even tried. And my SIL's cousin wouldn't do it because she said she heard it can mess your boobs up. People who don't at least try to BF irk me. It's the best nutrition for your child. At least give it a try!
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't get it either. My mom BF and all my aunts followed suit. I grew up around it (I'm the oldest of 4, and of the 8 other cousins) and never even considered bottle feeding. The whole miracle of life has always fascinated me. I'm now a maternity nurse, breastfeeding educator and certified lactation counselor. The funny thing is my mom wasn't breastfed. What led a shy, do what every one else does, baby boomer to breastfeed? The WIC lady told her it was good for the baby! Wish I could go back in time and THANK that woman!
My SIL did not BF her 3 kids. My rock star rich, organic everything, OCD SIL! She always offers me another room to feed in (like I'm shy!) Finally figured out SHE's the one who can't stand to know my boob is out in her living room. I'll never understand.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
navywife79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best friend BF her 1st child for 3 months before she quite. Her husband is in the Navy and was out to see with no help at home. I didn't know her at the time. Now she is pregnant with #2 and will BF, but isn't too excited about it because her daughter was very difficult. She is hoping this one is easier, but she said that if it becomes too much of a challange she will stop.

I can understand. I was EXTREMELY determined to BF until 1 year, but my son weaned himself at 5 1/2 months. So I pumped until he was 10 1/2 months. I was even getting up in the middle of the night to pump to keep up my supply when my son was sleeping through the night.

I am now expecting #2 and I hope that BF works better with this little one!
navywife79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Hmm I meet patients all the time that say they "want to" and literally have the baby on the breast for ONE second and then refuse saying they don't "like it" . I've had some tell me their husbands or sig other's don't want them too cause the "boobs" are for them not babies uggh.

I've also had moms tell me that they aren't going to nurse cause they get wic and formula's free so they see no benefit to nursing.

I had one patient that had a history of rape and had issues with breastfeeding because of that which I found so sad for both mama and baby.

Umm I have a friend that refused to nurse because she wanted her baby to have "overnights" with gramma and literally started leaving the baby for whole weekends when she was a few weeks old. We aren't friends since we've had kids lol... just too much disagreement.

I've also had a few friends wean early (as in after a few weeks) to drink, lose weight, take meds to lose weight, to get pregnant, to take birth control to avoid pregnancy... a bunch of different reasons.

fortunately my family has always been very supportive UNTIL I got pregnant while nursing and now that is a whole different issue lol.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It amazes me that people give the excuse it will ruin my boobs. Its not the nursing that does it, its the pregnancy itself If the boobs change. I wonder what a few generations before would think if they knew some women thought they were to good to use there breasts what they were designed for.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can only think of one lady I know who absolutely refused to try. It was my old boss a few years ago. She actually interviewed different pediatricians until she found one who wasn't insistent that BF is best! I don't know her exact reasons... she came from an
FF family, so I think BF was something "weird" to her.

This was before I was married or had my own LO, so I wasn't into telling people all about BF yet.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote